how does an intercooler work

94gtturbo

Member +
ok this may sound stupid but id thought id ask, i took the intercooler of and had a good look at it, it seems a pipe goes into it and then one out of it into the throttle body, but as i look into the intercooler i see the pipe that goes in goes no were and the pipe that goes out starts out of no where i thought they would connect???, then theres loads of twisting metal inbetwen, can anyone explain

stavros

Member +
Your FMIC acts as like a radiator, but for air...

The left hand side will be where the air being blown through from the turbo enters, the air then passes through the fmic, dispersing the heat through the fins and then then out, thround the other side to your inlet mani

Pretty basic definition, but hope that helps

94gtturbo

Member +
an interwarmer.. never heard of that now, yea i dont have a front mount just the standard top mounted... interwarmer? i feel like a gam here, so the air goes in one end and sends cold air through the many small S shaped like metal strips and then goes out the other end into the intake?
its a bit hard to think how it would get enough flow from that because i always expected the pipes could connect through the top mount interwarmer or what ever its called.

ianmcintoshi

Member +
an interwarmer.. never heard of that now, yea i dont have a front mount just the standard top mounted... interwarmer? i feel like a gam here, so the air goes in one end and sends cold air through the many small S shaped like metal strips and then goes out the other end into the intake?
its a bit hard to think how it would get enough flow from that because i always expected the pipes could connect through the top mount interwarmer or what ever its called.

its not realy called an interwarmer... hes just joking coz the top mount doesnt do much cooling lol

94gtturbo

Member +
ah haha am away for a :beer: well got there. ah well i still dont get it atol how air passes trough the intercooler it just seems blocked of on both ends.

sorry for the confusion it was only a joke lol

An intercooler’s purpose is to cool air that has compressed in either a turbo or supercharger. When air is compressed its temperature rises drastically, upwards of 300 degrees Fahrenheit, and becomes less dense and less oxygen rich. An intercooler is an essence a heat exchanger, like your radiator.
There are 2 main types of intercoolers air to air and air to water. An air to air intercooler uses outside air to transfer heat, while a air to water uses water to transfer heat.

In an air to air intercooler cool air passes through the intercooler tubes heating both the tubes and eventually the cooling fins. At the same time air from the outside passes through the fins of the intercooler, the heat from the tubes and fins is transferred to the air passing by on the outside. When it comes to an air to air intercooler setup there are different locations setups, different inlet and outlet configurations and different sizes. Locations for a front mount intercooler include, side mount intercooler and top mount intercooler. The location of the intercooler is key when determining how effectively it will transfer heat. The optimal location is a spot where the intercooler will have forced outside air blowing directly on it without any interference. This is why front mount intercoolers are very effective at transferring heat. They sit directly at the front of the car so they constantly have air from the outside blowing through the intercooler fins. Usually the only negative argument for a front mount intercooler is pressure drop. Pressure drop occurs because the route the air has to take to make it from the turbo to the front mount intercooler to the engine is long and not direct. Many front mount intercoolers today have been designed to help air flow and decrease pressure drop almost to a non-issue.

http://forums.superstreetonline.com/70/1006777/technical-support/what-is-an-intercooler-how-intercoolers-work-front/index.html

can be arsed to read it again to see if it makes sense lol

lol he's having you on with the "interwarmer" (i'll not go into why that name has come about)...hot compressed air from the turbo compressor side goes into the intercooler passes between fins (s shaped strips) which go through to the outside which is then cooled by the air hitting the outside of the intercooler which as you know also has fins, the reason for the fins is there is more surface area for the air to cool the fins from the outside air, as the fins let air pass inbetween them rather than just over the top & inside the intercooler those fins give the hot air inside a larger surface area to displace the heat onto those fins therefore removing the heat from the air inside the intercooler meaning colder air going into the intake.

as above really haha

Last edited:

94gtturbo

Member +
thanks for that man, ill have to have a look at this intercooler again when i get home and see what i make of it,it just seemed like its blocked of on both ends.

Paul_JJ

Member +
WHY everyone does not like the top mounted intercoolers simply because the Glanza ones is a bit shitty it doesn't mean that you can't get a decent TOP mounted intercooler with a minimal pressure drop! Why most of the racing cars got it on top? why Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Evo has it on top??? These are pretty fast cars.

omikron

Member +
WHY everyone does not like the top mounted intercoolers simply because the Glanza ones is a bit shitty it doesn't mean that you can't get a decent TOP mounted intercooler with a minimal pressure drop! Why most of the racing cars got it on top? why Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Evo has it on top??? These are pretty fast cars.

whut?

i didnt say they were shit, they are good for smaller turbo set ups that dont give off alot of heat and give these wee turbos great response due to shorter pipe route, but they dont have the cooling Capacity to coupe with bigger turbos, intake temps would be through the roof. racing cars many use water to air coolers which have less of a pressure drop than a topmount

corofin12345

Member +

the gt's top mount is the same... same engines mate... these top mouts are perfect for a stock setup but as you up the boost they become insufficient.. more boost=more hot compressed air from the turbo.. alot of people on here run with an arc topmount from an rx7.. better cooling and well able for 200+bhp..

sanchez

Member +
the gt's top mount is the same... same engines mate... these top mouts are perfect for a stock setup but as you up the boost they become insufficient.. more boost=more hot compressed air from the turbo.. alot of people on here run with an arc topmount from an rx7.. better cooling and well able for 200+bhp..

arc top mounts arnt from an rx7 dude, they are a japanese company, the arc top mount your thinking of is specifically for the starlet.

But you can get an rx7 top mount, pretty decent over stock as i had one.

corofin12345

Member +
arc top mounts arnt from an rx7 dude, they are a japanese company, the arc top mount your thinking of is specifically for the starlet.

But you can get an rx7 top mount, pretty decent over stock as i had one.

ah.. nice one didnt know that.. :beer: