how does one test the lambda?

dark_knight

Member +
as above.. ^^
how can i test my 15-year old lambda sensor to know that it's still working within acceptable limits..?
& don't tell me to replace it.. :D

dac69er

Super Moderator
Measure the voltage its giving out and guess its ok. Or just buyy a new lambda. Seriously, for £15 its not worth pissing about with it

dark_knight

Member +
easier said than done

dac69er, you say it like it's such an easy thing to do.. :) but knowing how welded the stock item is on the down-pipe given all the time it's spent in the same place, i'd much rather go down the testing route first before i go spending 15 pounds & breaking my fingers trying to remove it. got any links/leads of where to get a new o2 sensor that will be a direct fit for the -fte..?
still, it wouldn't hurt to know the parameters it sends to the ecu.. :D

Texx

Super Moderator
Warm the engine up, short out terminals Te1 and E1, connect a volt meter between terminals E1 and VF1, hold the engine speed at 2500rpm and the reading should jump between 0v and 5v. The voltage jump should occur approx 8 times in 10 seconds to indicate a good oxygen sensor signal.

weeJohn

Lifer
Nice one Terry, didnt know that. You could also measure the voltage at the diagnostic plug, it ranges from 0-1.1volts, 0 being lean and rich being 1 volt. Around 0.45 volts is idle feedback (14.7)

Texx

Super Moderator
I would think so, though I've never used the Ox terminal for closed loop monitoring.

Check page 13 of this PDF: Click

dark_knight

Member +
good read!

thanks Texx..! :)
have done some slight reading on it but will pick up the document later for further reading... :D
good stuff.. :p

dark_knight

Member +
well, i don't have one so may need to revert to other means of testing.. :)
thanks for the heads-up though. much appreciated.

weeJohn

Lifer
much easier to see with an oscilloscope rather than tring to read it on a meter.

Something to be said for the old analogue meters compared to digital, hard to pick one up now but. Pretty sure the test point is as Texx statesm on my UK its was on the outside of the plug, almost separate.