How much should insurance pay out?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
For those that don't know I've recently been in a crash in my Levin and its been written off. I've only owned the car for about 6-8 weeks, paid £3600 for it and its insured at a value of £3500.

How much can I realisticly expect to be paid out? How much if I was to retain the car?

Its insured with Chaucer through Sky Insurance if that makes a difference.

Please no wild stabs in the dark, I'd prefer to hear from people that have been in a similar situation to the one I'm in now.

Cheers in advance guys and gals.
Love, Hutch.

lingl9z

Member +
I had someone crash in to me in my mx5 which was insured for 2k (also with sky/chaucer) at first I was told I wasn't to expect much being an old car etc and when they was looking at other cars same age they kept telling me it was a really low figure, around £850 I'm sure until I pointed them at the fact the milage was alot lower, they then agree'd to pay out the full price or I could do a cash in leu settlement which meant I could keep the car and still got 1k (the car was repairable though and not classed as a write off)

Rich.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Do you mean full price as in the full 2k it was insured for Rich? Mine is repairable if I get it done privately, as it is I had it recovered to the insurance approved accident repair centre and they quoted £3333 to fix. A bloke back home, knows my dad, reckons he can fix it for around £1500. Just trying to work out if I will get paid out enough to have it recovered up to him to fix or not.

lingl9z

Member +
Yeah sorry buddy a little tired and ill! yeah car was insured for 2k I ended up getting 1k and got to keep the car (door/wing was dented) so worked out pretty good in the end. I'm sure you'll get more than 1500 and be able to keep the car if it's insured for price listed. just make sure you don't take there first offer as it's always going to be the lowest!

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
No worries dude, cheers for the replies. I really hope I do get it back on the road, I'd be gutted if it got scrapped after only owning it for such a short time. It probably is one of, if not the best looking Levin in the uk.

bullet

Member +
the insurance approved garage said my car was a right off so i disagredd, they told me to get my own quote, so shopped around and got a quote they agreed on and they paid for repairs. if you know its repairable try doing that

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Rear suspension damage and maybe a twisted rear axle, would an insurance approved repair centre touch that? They basically told me they could fix one bit that was wrong only to find something else wrong, fix that only to find... well you get the idea.

bullet

Member +
mine had endless damage, the garage quoted just under the value of the car, started doing the work then found more, but as the insurance had already started paying for it the agreed the rest of the work. was still half the price of the insurance garage

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
This is the info from the damage report

Parts/Panels Requiring Renewal

sound pad x1
L Front wheel
L Rear wheel
L Rear steering knuckle
L Rear control arm
L Front control arm rear
L Rear spring leg
L Rear control arm rear
Rear stabiliser
L Rear side panel
L qtr glass bond kit

Parts/Panels Requiring Repair

check front axle support
check l/drive shaft
check l/lower control arm
check l/front strut
check l/steering knuckle
check rear axle subframe
check **r/test (inc FC)

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

levinfront.jpg

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Having it written off would probably help me out, clear some debts but I just can't bare to part with it! I'll give Ollie a pm and tell him to check this thread, he might be able to advise.

Cheers Bullet.