how much tuneing can i do before i start fueling up

triple j

Member +
hi, just wondering i have a bog standrd mk2 gt, what tuneing can i get done before i have to up the fuel an remap, thanks

AdamB

Member +
Wouldn't even think about raising the boost unless you get a new fuel pump, most of these cars are getting on a bit now and generally are still on a stock fuel pump which will be tired.

triple j

Member +
its a clean car it only has 65000kms on it an its not clocked i have the full jap service history, i dont want to go 2 mad on it and destroy it like the last one i had,

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
Whats listed above is about it, 1st would be the air filter, then I would go for an aftermarket exhaust mani at the same time as an exhaust and decat. Leads would be anytime and a FMIC would be the last before upping boost. A new fuel pump is a wise investment once you get to there, as is a new fuel filter, good oil and spark plugs.

AFR Tuning

Member +
Wouldn't even think about raising the boost unless you get a new fuel pump, most of these cars are getting on a bit now and generally are still on a stock fuel pump which will be tired.

Definitely, yes you have lovely low mileage, but the car is still a few years old. Nice new fuel pump would be a wise purchase.

As for a new actuator, how bad is your boost dropping off ?

Paul_JJ

Member +
How can you explain tired fuel pump? I thought it's either pump the fuel or doesn't pump. Is it that important to replace it?

AdamB

Member +
Its not just the pump that becomes tired, the wiring on these cars is also dated and can corrode or split, meaning that your left with less voltage at the pump that ideally what you would like. It is worth checking the voltage when replacing the pump. A tired fuel pump is very much like an engine, the more miles you put on it, the less the rings seal against the bore, so you lose power. Especially with people increasing fuel pressure, increased fuel pressure means the pump has to work twice as hard to pump fuel to keep the rail under a constant pressure.
It is very important to replace if you are thinking of rasiing boost levels, although this can be picked up on a rolling road when checking the afr's. If the fuel pump is dieing you will run leaner and leaner, I think someone has posted before that when they changed a fuel pump the car ran really rich, so they had to get it remapped and they found out the afr's went down to 10's.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Its not just the pump that becomes tired, the wiring on these cars is also dated and can corrode or split, meaning that your left with less voltage at the pump that ideally what you would like. It is worth checking the voltage when replacing the pump. A tired fuel pump is very much like an engine, the more miles you put on it, the less the rings seal against the bore, so you lose power. Especially with people increasing fuel pressure, increased fuel pressure means the pump has to work twice as hard to pump fuel to keep the rail under a constant pressure.
It is very important to replace if you are thinking of rasiing boost levels, although this can be picked up on a rolling road when checking the afr's. If the fuel pump is dieing you will run leaner and leaner, I think someone has posted before that when they changed a fuel pump the car ran really rich, so they had to get it remapped and they found out the afr's went down to 10's.

Thanks Adam. very good info here.

How do I check the voltage on the pump is there a fuse for it or something?

Also can you recommend a GOOD mapper in your area? I'm in MK but not very far of Oxford.

AdamB

Member +
You would have to remove the pump from its housing, find it's feed voltage and its groun and just stick a multimeter across the terminals, with the ignition switched on. I'm sure someone would have a more technical picture of words lol.
I'm not too sure on tuning companys around Oxford or this area, but I would recommend JD modified in Basingstoke, its a 40 mile drive from Oxford so maybe a little more for you.

Paul_JJ

Member +
You would have to remove the pump from its housing, find it's feed voltage and its groun and just stick a multimeter across the terminals, with the ignition switched on. I'm sure someone would have a more technical picture of words lol.
I'm not too sure on tuning companys around Oxford or this area, but I would recommend JD modified in Basingstoke, its a 40 mile drive from Oxford so maybe a little more for you.

That would be 2 hour drive for me -)

I don't need too many words it confuses me even more, all I need is 1 clear picture -))))))

Gilly2006

Member +

with regards to voltage with regards to fuel pump, a good earth is a good idea from the battery to the body and engine, custom earth leads are a good idea and dont cost much!
the standard earth leads are CRAP!
and also a good working battery! :)

J25GTi

Lifer
Make sure you don't run the pump out of the tank for more than a few seconds as it uses the fuel to lubricate it and you could seize it up