How to reseal your sump guide

WallaceGlanza

Member +
An oil leak can become a serious problem if not taken care of and a leak from the sump on our starlets is a common thing, since there is no gasket on it and just sealant which is easy to apply poorly and hence not seal properly.

Getting the sump sealed properly can be tricky but using this method and taking a bit of time over it can save the hassle of redoing it over and over again.

(I apologise for the lack of pictures in this quick guide but it is fairly straight forward and self explanatory)

Firstly get the car jacked up and on axle stands or even better on a ramp. Remove the splash guards from underneath the car to give easy access to the sump, then remove the 14mm sump plug to drain the oil. Whilst the oil is draining remove the exhaust from the downpipe and at the centre section (or back box if you have an annoying 2 piece exhaust like mine!) so you have room to remove the sump.

With the exhaust out of the way remove the 10mm bolts holding the sump on aswell as the tubo oil feed then gently pull/prise the sump off and watch for more oil spilling out.

With the sump off the important work begins, both the surface of the sump and the engine block need to be stripped and cleaned of all sealant so that the new sealant to be applied will bind properly with the surface. The easiest way to do this is with a wire brush attachment on an electric drill, this is fine on the sump when off the car but if using this on the block care must be taken around the oil pickup and crank shaft to not cause damage or getpieces of sealant where they may do similar. This will take a while to get right but needs to be done well to get a good seal. At the same time all the bolts holding the sump on should be cleaned up with the drill as these will likely have sealant on them too.

Once all the sealant is removed the surfaces should be cleaned with a degreaser to ensure no oily residue is present as the sealant will notstick properly. Also the sump should be cleaned inside to ensure no bits of sealant are in there.

Next you need a good high temp sealant such as this (I had to put one picture in!):

photo_28.jpg

The best way to apply this is by putting a small amount on your finger then dabbing it onto the surface of the sump, this way you can feel when the sealant is sticking to the surface as it should. If it does not stick try rubbing it in or clean the area again with a degreaser until it sticks. Apply the sealant all the way around the sump paying particular attention to the curved crank area at both ends and the grooves where more sealant should be applied but try to avoid filling the bolt holes with sealant.

Once the sump is coated do the same with the block and refit the sump, it should stick nicely now but press it on to make sure, then simply fit and tighten the bolts. Remember to re-attach the turbo oil feed and sump plug, re-fit the exhaust and splash guards then fill the car with oil to the appropriate level, start it up and hopefully you'll have no oil leaks!

(If someone could move this into the awesomely helpful info section I think it would be most useful there. :) )

Last edited: