i got 3 point for using sat nav on mob

mossy

Member +
i finished work like 3ish and on the way to mot center (4 my running around car) in build up area doing like 15 mph,al of sudden i sow police car behind me flashing lights , i thought he was on mission so i quickly pulled over to let him go but he stopped next un me, then he asked me to turn the engin off and he asked if i was using mobile phone? I said no, he replyed but you were playing with your phone somehow. I said this is a mobile phone on my dash but i am using sat nav on it. And i had both hands on steering wheele and doing 15, he claims i was not fully in control of driving there for he gave me 3 points and £60 find on spot. What you lot think Shall go to court?

Last edited:

L900CMC

Member +
Someones out to get there bonus this month!! Thats not on mate but if they say you wernt in control you wouldnt have a leg to stand on

Mo_GT

Member +
u can try takin it to court but to be honest their word against yours and u know how strict they are about bein on the fone sorry to hear it

mossy

Member +
i proved to him on telephone call was made or received the past an hour but he kept saying you werent looking ahead
What a winker , he made my day

gtt

Fresh Recruit
take it court and prove you wasnt makeing a call and say the sat nav tells you where to go so there is no need to look at it

ChrisGT

Member +
Take it to court. just get a print out from your mobile phone provider. this will be sufficient enough evidence.

Exactly. You were not using your phone for texting/calling and you were running a sat nav application. I'm pretty sure you could convince people that it is therefore identical to using a sat nav - which is ofcourse in your rights to use.

Even if you werent looking ahead you'd be doing the same if you were looking at a satnav/entering a postcode. Its bullshit. Take it to court!

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Try pulling over next time you use your sat nav, or at least look around to make sure the police aren't there.

mossy

Member +
thanx your comments and helpful advice, i posted up the matter in other forum and more or less every body got same opinion which is get a copy of my phone bill and a few references from my boss and respectable people who know me well and should be enough evidence,
i also was told i can write to his superior and explain what happened they might be more reasonable towards matter
I wait and see what happen next i ll keep you up dated
ps , i am not playing innocent, nor saying i never done speeding or whatever , but in this occasion i wasnt doing anything illegal, in fact i realised when they told me they spoted me at junction its a pure lie as i went there and there is not a junction all on that road for a good long distance and my car has a tinted windows. now you judge isnt it ' police harassment ':shoot:

Last edited:

EP82

Member +
Naa just found it funny that it read you were not doing anything legal. I feel for you man that aint on I would challenge that in court too

Craig_GT

Lifer
Apparantly it doesnt matter if you make a call or send a txt if you lift your phone at all its illegal

Yeah i heard this also! apparently your supposed to have it "switched off or on silent and out of site-i.e in glove box" personally i think its ridiculous.

maybe if you have the time and date of when you were pulled you can speak with your network provider and get them to send out a statement showing/proving you werent using the phone at that time.. just deny u had it in your hand and you have proof you werent using it?
maybe worth a shot?

L900CMC

Member +
I deleted my post cus i jus rem u had our phone on the dash,ring your local station and ask a few questions and explaqin wot happened see wot they say

Ryno

Member +
was it a fixed penalty you got? if it is then what offence is written on it?

first step should be to call the central ticket office and explain you were using your sat nav and see if they are willing to cancel it due you you not breaking the law.

you don't have to be looking ahead for every second your in the car, how are you ment to check mirrors, blind spot?

espesh at 15mph.

then personally i'd take it to court with as said phone bills ect., don't think the magistrates will be too impressed with you being in court for looking at a sat nav, bit of a gray area because if people start to get done for looking at them then it'll be the new mobile phone offence for Gov. money making! :p