I think i killed my engine :(

OllieTurbo

Member +
I think i killed my engine :( (updated)

Well driving home lastnight up the m5 about 10:30 pm, was in 5th, put my footdown slightly doing about 80 and i heard the worst noise ever. Only way to describe it is like a crunching gear noise but from the engine ! the car then started to cut out, i got on to the hardshoulder straight away , popped the hood to find oil pissing everywhere. After about an hour i got towed home.

Got a mechanic mate to take a look today. The outcome is a big outward crack in the sump, which means something from the in the engine has caused it by snapping etc im guessing? any ideas what it could be, my mates first thoughts were a piston or maybe crankshaft?

Would just like to know what everyone think it could be / could of casued it? its always been well serviced etc. and if its definetly a new engine job ? Cheerz all :mad:

couple of pics a couple hours before after a quick wash:
15062010119.jpg

15062010120.jpg

15062010121.jpg

and 1 on the back of the lowloader :(
16062010122.jpg

Last edited:

S1MSGTT

Member +
It could be one of ur rods may have snapped or at worst the crank, or maybe some has come off (oil pick up maybe?) and has been forced into the sump by the crank rotating. Either way dropping the oil and removing the sumps not a big job and should tell you

OllieTurbo

Member +
cant see any other holes, im gonna have to pay some1 to do the work for me though as im not really clued up tbh , du rekon theres gonna be much point in checking as im probbaly gonna need a new engine what ever it is, or is there a chance its saveable :) ?

billybob

Untrusted Seller
cant see any other holes, im gonna have to pay some1 to do the work for me though as im not really clued up tbh , du rekon theres gonna be much point in checking as im probbaly gonna need a new engine what ever it is, or is there a chance its saveable :) ?

if you spun a bearing or snaped a rod best just to get a used engine and put it in mate

OllieTurbo

Member +
if you spun a bearing or snaped a rod best just to get a used engine and put it in mate

i thought that was gonna be the case.

if it helps, about 10minutes after it happend , stupidly i started for about 2secondcs, and it did start however did sound bad , so i turned it str8 off

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
i thought that was gonna be the case.

if it helps, about 10minutes after it happend , stupidly i started for about 2secondcs, and it did start however did sound bad , so i turned it str8 off

I've seen a Glanza running with 3 holes in the block, 1 broken rod with a piston snapped up inside the head and 1 bent rod lol, she sounded lovely :)

OllieTurbo

Member +
the car is now out tuning developments having a forged engine fitted :) spoke to nick today and it turns out a rod went through the bottom end and smashed in to the sump !

GTdan

In The Closet
the car is now out tuning developments having a forged engine fitted :) spoke to nick today and it turns out a rod went through the bottom end and smashed in to the sump !
you did a good job of it - a nice hole it is aswell :) looks nice with the new engine in :)

Foggy

Member +

That was quick best of luck with the new engine happy boosting :)