ignition timing map /oem ecu?

350ep70gr

Member +
Is it any way for retract the timing map from the stock ecu.
I wana see what the stock ecu doing with the ignition timing in different boost/load levels.
Is it a tool i can buy or a specific dyno can give me this info like a printout of afrs but reference in timing?
I know some hard numbers but what i need is the exactly ignition map.

Chris

NosydneW

Member +
I thought if you connect a emanage it should show actual map.....which in that case is an oem ecu map?

correct me if i'm wrong

Chris@CCM

Member +
U can't see the stock map at all dude u can see the emu map and it shows a trace of the stock map but it's not rite pal it's all over the show

350ep70gr

Member +
U can't see the stock map at all dude u can see the emu map and it shows a trace of the stock map but it's not rite pal it's all over the show

ohh..:( i get it now...so it cant be done...:(

Thanks for all the inputs guys! rep added. I take it it you cant read the ecu chip aswell.

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
The stock ECU constantly advances and retards the ignition timing using it's Corrective Ignition Advance Control. The aim is to provide the maximum spark advance possible before knock occurs. The ECU uses a preprogrammed spark advance strategy to determine the basic ignition advance that needs to be applied to the initial timing angle or base timing. The parameters of this strategy consist of engine speed, engine load, intake manifold pressure, intake air temperature, engine coolant temperature and throttle position. Once the ECU has completed it's Initial Timing Angle + Basic Ignition Advance calculation, it will then use it's Corrective Ignition Advance Control or Knock Correction Function to be more precise, to make the final adjustment to the actual ignition timing. The method of the Knock Correction Function is fairly simple, when engine knock is detected ignition timing is retarded, once engine knock stops ignition timing is advanced, it carries on like this constantly going round in a circle advancing and retarding the ignition timing. However the Knock Correction Function does not have the ability to keep on increasing ignition advance until knock is detected, the ECU has pre set minimum and maximum values for both basic ignition and corrective ignition advance or retard angles to ensure the actual ignition advance angle doesn't become abnormal for the operating conditions of the engine at that particular time.

So in summary, the stock ECU doesn't use a spark advance map as such. It uses a series of lookup tables to determine the basic advance required, then using it's input sensor signals it corrects the ignition advance to suit the operating conditions of the engine at that particular time. So even if you had the ability to read or data log the actual ignition advance being used, it would likely be either useless or misleading without also being able to read or data log the relevant input sensor signals used to calculate the final advance angle.

350ep70gr

Member +
The stock ECU constantly advances and retards the ignition timing using it's Corrective Ignition Advance Control. The aim is to provide the maximum spark advance possible before knock occurs. The ECU uses a preprogrammed spark advance strategy to determine the basic ignition advance that needs to be applied to the initial timing angle or base timing. The parameters of this strategy consist of engine speed, engine load, intake manifold pressure, intake air temperature, engine coolant temperature and throttle position. Once the ECU has completed it's Initial Timing Angle + Basic Ignition Advance calculation, it will then use it's Corrective Ignition Advance Control or Knock Correction Function to be more precise, to make the final adjustment to the actual ignition timing. The method of the Knock Correction Function is fairly simple, when engine knock is detected ignition timing is retarded, once engine knock stops ignition timing is advanced, it carries on like this constantly going round in a circle advancing and retarding the ignition timing. However the Knock Correction Function does not have the ability to keep on increasing ignition advance until knock is detected, the ECU has pre set minimum and maximum values for both basic ignition and corrective ignition advance or retard angles to ensure the actual ignition advance angle doesn't become abnormal for the operating conditions of the engine at that particular time.

So in summary, the stock ECU doesn't use a spark advance map as such. It uses a series of lookup tables to determine the basic advance required, then using it's input sensor signals it corrects the ignition advance to suit the operating conditions of the engine at that particular time. So even if you had the ability to read or data log the actual ignition advance being used, it would likely be either useless or misleading without also being able to read or data log the relevant input sensor signals used to calculate the final advance angle.

Thanks Tery! Realy informative post as always! I Was hoping it wasnt like this and was only a look up table so i could copy it to my ms for testing using similar numbers to the oem ecu.
So now i need a steady load dyno..LOL:p

http://www.wheelsjamaicahost.com/wheels_forum/index.php?topic=78078.0

chris
see that link....hardcoreep and a few others had some input into it

its good reading and can help answer soe of your questions

PS- you may need to take a panadol or two when you get into this kind of topic:)

oh...and to add....basically, texx summed it up in his last paragraph

to put it simply...toyota built a "not so simple" ecu....lol

Thanks mate. A bit complicated for my english tho..:p
I use 1 full box af panadol to reach till the end!

Rep added to both of you.
Thanks again!

Chris