Import Taxes

drew

Member +
I recently bought some new d2 coilovers from newzeland off e bay for a very good price.

However i received a letter this morning for £62.00 worth of import taxes from fedex, do i have to pay these? Nothing was mentioned on the site about import duty to be paid so im just wanting some advice on what to do. I dont mind paying it, but im not sure if i have to..?

I remember a link on here about import taxes a few weeks ago, however ive had a search and cant find it.

Can anybody shed any light on the situation?

Thanks

bazza1000

Member +
Unfortunely you will have to pay Fedex the £62 or they will not release the parcel containing your coilovers to you!

Its a gamble you take when you order from abroad I'm afraid. If you read the information before you order it will always say 'subject to local import duties'.

I've ordered numberous parts direct from Japan and have occassionally had to pay import duty, its just luck of the draw really.

Best thing is to ask the seller to mark the package 'AS GIFT' or 'AS SAMPLE' on the shipping address form, this normally works and they just put parcels straight through (again its hit or miss though).

rob300zx

Member +
Yes you will have to pay it to Fedex. Fedex will have paid this £62.00 for you to allow the goods to enter the country and pass through customs & excise, If you dont pay they usually send you a second letter explaining that you still have outstanding balance to pay, and then obviously a final demand letter before they will take legal action.

Welcome to rip off Britain.

Jay

Admin
You will find that in most cases the seller omits liability for any additional taxes and charges involved. It'll probably be in the small print.

When buying from outside the UK always budget for import taxes. That way you get a bonus when they miss charging you.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
I always request EMS from Japan, they are fast and haven't charged me yet.

drew

Member +
I recently bought some new d2 coilovers off ebay.

However i received a letter from fedex saying that i owe £62.00 in import charges. Nothing was mentioned in the add about possilbe payment of import charges. I'm just wanting to know do i have to pay this?

I know there was a thread on here a while ago about import charges but i cant seem to find it.

I'll pay it if i have to, but im not sure that i do....?

Can anyone clarify this? I bought the item from newzeland. I know sometimes you have pay extra charges but nothing was mentioned in the add....

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jay

Admin
No point posting the same question again mate, I've merged the threads together for your convenience. :)

Jay

drew

Member +
Hi guys,

Sorry Jay, i just realsied that! :) i thought where has my thread gone! So i used the search button and it came up, sorry.

Thats fine, i know a lot of people get charged, i've already received the coilovers there sat waiting to be fitted at the end of the month. I'll just pay it then, but as stated above my i might just request the other company next time! :)

So if i didnt pay it, legal action would be taken i guess? No worries.

Thanks for the replys

Drew

SooperD

Member +
Yea as has already been said most overseas sellers mark the item as gift or put a low "value" on them. Next time enquire about this and ask them if they could do it before you buy.. 9 times out of 10 you should be fine.. Main problem with your coilovers is that they are huge and in a big box etc so these always tend to be more scrutinised by the import tax ppl..

Ive bought loads of small stuff and never had trouble..

At least your happy and you got what you wanted tho.. Enjoy your D2's ;)

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Once the company pays it you are must pay them back, it's just like having a credit card. Most companies won't let you have the parcel beofre it's paid but fedex do for some reason.

Also, being sent as a gift or samples doesn't alwasy work, my turbo kit was sent as samples but I still got hit with £146 tax and VAT. and Gifts over £17 can be checked and charged.

Nwimie

Member +
it really is luck of the draw! ive been lucky so far evan with import tax its normally cheaper!

Phil

Super Moderator
yeah think i know the seller you mean in new zealand mate!

the prices are great and even with the tax you still are better off than buying from England/UK!

Phil