Is a MINES ECU with 1994 EP82 GT auto possible?

si2001

Member +
Searched the forum looking for confirmation on whether this setup is possible. Have seen mixed results trying to find out whether I can just plug a MINES ECU into my GT even though it runs an auto box. Does anyone have any ideas whether this will work? I'm not wanting to switch to a manual setup, (years of driving in traffic has made me love the lazyness of the auto :)) so if anyone can confirm, yes or no as to if this would work I would appreciate it. Without looking at my ECU (not sure of it's location but presumably it'll be behind the dash somewhere?) I am not sure whether it is a 3 plug variant or 2 plug ECU. I've seen a post of one guy saying his auto ECU was two plug and other posts saying that the auto uses a 3 plug ECU. Presumably if it is a 3 plug variant I'm stuffed and it won't work, in which case I'll have to think about something else. Anyway enough waffling....any help to answer the question would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Si.

Ted

Member +
jay knows all about this, he recently picked up an auto only ecu. think it was a zep or mines or something. std mines wont work apparently
think auto is 3 plug

scot-ish

Member +
another auto in the north east lol, sure theres a black on in washington, unless its the same person lol

but as stated, the norm mines, wont work on the auto setup

think your ecu will be behind the cig lighter/centre console

TomS

Lifer
Better off going for a piggyback imo, Kellys auto made 179 at 0.9 bar on a ct9 with an e manage blue

Jay

Admin
I completely agree about that autobox laziness mate. I'm a huge fan myself!

The mk1 (89-91) GT automatic used a two plug ECU. Your's will be like my own quadlamp and be a three plug version.

Initially I reckoned a Glanza manual ECU (also three plug) would possibly work. So I checked a standard one out and it did. Around my yard..

On the basis of this Enzo tried a manual JAM Racing ECU on his automatic Glanza and that's when the theory went down in flames. Pretty sure the car couldn't find second or third which would explain how I didn't have issues in my yard as the car never left 1st. I'll openly take flak for being a half-ass'd test pilot.

Enzo might post up a firsthand account if we're lucky.

So basically I fancied tuning the autobox but had to look into either piggybacks (FCON & EmanageBlue) which are a good option or head into standalones which I cannot warrant the cash on.

Out of the blue I spotted a Sard Analyse ECU on the Jap auctions a few months ago. Nearly fell off my chair when I saw the automatic label.. :haha:

Still haven't fitted it as my autobox is dying but when I do I'll report my findings on here.

Jay

si2001

Member +
Thanks everyone for the comments/posts. Kinda figured it would be a lost cause with the MINES but it was worth a shot.

@ scot-ish: Not me matey :) I'm in Durham. Not seen any other EP82's around here for a while. I remember a white one I used to see on my way to work a couple of years back but haven't seen it since...could be because I'm going in the opposite direction now but still not seen it about. There is a EP91 floating around somewhere. Silver one. I see it every now and then.

Think it looks like I'll have to go back to the long term plan and go for the Emanage...although finding anyone reputable who can tune one for a Starlet up here in the North East is another matter unless anyone knows?

@ Jay: Thanks for the confirmation. If there's one thing I've learned though years of modifying past cars is do extensive research first and if you don't find the answer ask, so thank you for saving me a small fortune lol :haha: Would be interested to know how you eventually manage to get on with the Sard ECU when you get it hooked up. If it's anything like the MINES ECU from what I've read up it'll be a worthwhile addition. Will keep a keen eye on your progress with it so good luck :cool:

Cheers

Si.