Is this a C52 Gearbox?

nyahbingi

Member +
Been looking around for a new gearbox for my EP82 as the one in it is presently on its way out.

Options in my country are limited, however i stumbled across this 5FWD 5E Gearbox. The box seems to be out an EL53 Corsa (Model: E-EL53-BEMXK, Production Year: 95/01), since it is coming from a complete engine it was possible to use the ECU Manufacturer Part # (89661 - 16300) to track it down.

From the pics below can anyone confirm whether or not it is a C52 box?

Have heard rumors that the box with the metal black back is "the weakest"

All help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
Early GT boxes had a metal cover over the end of them, and a 6 bolt diff. I have a 1 way LSD for a 6 bolt diff if you fancy that with it lol.

nyahbingi

Member +
LOL@weeJohn. Thanks for the offer mate, will get back to you :p

However i dont tihnk its an early GT Box. The production year on the Corsa is 95/01

I've done some further research and seems the box is either a C50F, C150, C153.

But how do i know for sure which it is?

Also are these just as strong as the C52?

Last edited:

nyahbingi

Member +
99% it's a c150 mate. If it was glanza or gt would have alloy end cap for sure...

Thanks mate, but how does the C150 compare to C52? In terms of strenght? i know the ratios are slightly different.

Im just wondering if both are capable of handling equal amounts of power/torque?

weeJohn

Lifer
Most of the synchros will be the same in the C series boxes, 3rd gear synchro does GT, EP85, EP91, EP95 and Glanza V. Its also listed for a Corsa 5EFE and 5EFHE.

nyahbingi

Member +
John,

Thanks for your help as always greatly appreciated.

So it seems like this box can be used in my EP82 without fear of it breaking instantly LOL