Is this any good

Jay

Admin
Hey Sammy,

Had a few Sony's before and they have always been well put together. Wouldn't hesitate in buying another. Someone more technical would probably have a different answer but they served me well. :cool:

quadcorecraig

Member +
when you buy a sony you do pay for the name.

the spec is not bad at all if all your doing it web browsing, download abit of music, films blah blahh..

windows 7 i think it ok its abit jazzier and loads up faster but nothing amzing.

try ebuyer see what you find on there :) better prices :)

www.ebuyer.co.uk

gv1.3

Admin
havent checked the spec but I personally wouldnt ever touch a Sony. I used to purchase hardware for live demonstrations at large shows. I once made the mistake of buying some Sony Vaio laptops. They were the worst machines I have ever used. They looked great but as usual with Sony products they were totally proprietary. Every time you put a USB drive in to it a message would pop up trying to get you to buy sony memory stick duos and wouldnt let you use the usb key until you clicked through about five times.

The machines were loaded full of totally crap Sony software that if you attempted to uninstall would knock out pieces of hardware working on the machine.

A girl I know was buying a new laptop and told me she was looking at a Sony vaio. I told her about my experience with them and she went ahead and bought one anyway. Three weeks later I was talking to her and she said she took it back to the shop and demanded her money back because she had nothing but problems with it.

My advice would be go for a dell. They are hard to beat on price. Also consider toshiba. I have a toshiba tablet and its been round the world with me and bashed around, used as a TV, music player, demo machine, business laptop and pretty much runs 24/7 and has never missed a beat in 2 years. It gets so much usage the letters on the keys are starting to wear off and it is as fast and stable as the day it came out of the box.

gv1.3

Admin
Hi Sammy,

would you believe after what I said about the toshiba above...it finally died yesterday! I would still rate it as one of the best laptops I have ever owned. It was punished day in day out and has never once let me down. I would say the two years I have owned it would equate to a normal 5 years of use on a standard laptop as it was my TV, demo servers, radio, etc etc etc and was on 24/7. Yesterday it started switching off when ever it was picked up or moved slightly.

So I went and bought a new machine. Its a HP touchsmart like this one http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/touchsmart/#/TouchSmart-Tx2

It has 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, touch screen and tablet with stylus mode. It came with windows 7 professional and generally is a very nice little machine. The built in speakers are much better than the others on the toshiba which makes a nice change. It also has a remote control that pops out of the side which is handy if you are using it for music or DVDs. Its light enough but feels very solid and the plastics dont flex when you are using it in tablet mode which most others I have used do. Its a very fast little machine but as the reviews said online it runs VERY hot. Like if you have a lot of apps running at the same time it heats up fast.

It was expensive compared to all of the other machines they had in the store but there was no other machine at this compact size that had so many built in features.

Hope this helps your selection a bit.