isit legit or virus?

Keep gettin this message when i turn my comp on flashed up on bottom right of comp white box with hp advisory alert onit then in middle in red writing 4 important updates alerts then say requires your immediate attention then if ypu click the cross button it comes up same again but 5 reccomendations

isit legit?

dark_knight

Member +
is it possible for you to get a screen shot of it..? Ctrl + Prnt Scrn then paste on any image-editing software, save and share.
from your description though, it appears that it's malware coz HP would have an update manager of sorts to handle such alerts and not do popups like the ones you 've mentioned..

corofin12345

Member +
i hate these things cause you just never know.. malware viruses can acess computer programs and it may look legit untill you actually click on them.. if your the admin of your computer i think it should ask your permission first before these pop ups come up but im not sure about HP and how it works..

corofin12345

Member +
duck take over the screen normally solves that... ah no, id be very wary of those things.. does updates normally come up like that... you should print the main screen with that there and post it up.. someone may know what it is then

si2001

Member +
Couple of things I would advise you to do.

1. If you have an anti-virus checker on and it's a paid for variant, once it's expired get Microsoft Security Essentials installed. It's free as long as you have a legit copy of Windows and it will never expire. It comes with its own Spyware/Malware checker.

2. Download and install Malware Bytes. There is a free edition which you can use, it just doesn't come with the real-time monitor that the paid for version has and also doesn't update automatically. However the free one is excellent for malware and spyware detection. Run a full scan and see if it picks anything up.

Two tools that are free and excellent in keeping a PC clear of viruses/spyware & malware, however if you ever see any spoof malware pop up while your browsing (google images is notorious for this) saying there is X amount of viruses found do you want to get rid of them never click yes, just close the browser.

Rev

Member +
Also worth searching for the exact file /words as a precaution to see if it is fake but if it is a HP computer it will have its own updates centre.
Basically Hp have their own software that HP own and Windows update can not have access to. So the 'only' way to keep some drivers up to date or fixed is by using the HP update software that came with the computer.

Last edited: