JAM ON - Please read

rickie

Member +
Please read all of this first before any replies please as the bottom is as important as the top :)

My friend got his jam ecu bout a week ago and his glanza is TOTALLY standard but he put it in anyway. Apart from its features there was no indication of a more agressive tune. I told him that he wouldnt see a deifference because his car has NOTHING else whatsoever to support the ecu to show it's potential. Am I correct in saying this? He has tested his car in closed off areas against a few friends standard glanzas and gt's, including my own and he always gets left behind by a length which we do not and cannot understand. Before he even put the jam ecu in his glanza was reeving out at 7900 rpm in every gear to everyones bewilderment. Why would this be?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
its probably been mapped for a completley different set up, so its not really getting the best out of his car with no mods at all. all the parameters will be different.

Jay

Admin
Has he allowed it to setup properly?

They usually need reset and driven for a few days before they will do anything.

if his car is stock.....the jam will react nicely to mods....cheap/free ones too

replace stock intake box with pod filter ---cheap
knock the cat out of the stock down pipe---free
get a slightly better actuator or bleed valve (dawes--cheap and reliable) to up the boost....cheap 2nd hks or jam unit ---cheap
get an engine check up to make sure timing, cylinder pressures, correct plugs (grade 7 or 8), etc are all up to scratch---cheap
get rx7 tmic---cheap (free from scrappers if u can find one)

Jay

Admin
if he revs it that high and the car is stock he sounds like a bit of a plum!!!

I'd agree that anything past 6,500 is wasting time on a stock setup.

if his car is stock.....the jam will react nicely to mods....cheap/free ones too

replace stock intake box with pod filter ---cheap
knock the cat out of the stock down pipe---free
get a slightly better actuator or bleed valve (dawes--cheap and reliable) to up the boost....cheap 2nd hks or jam unit ---cheap
get an engine check up to make sure timing, cylinder pressures, correct plugs (grade 7 or 8), etc are all up to scratch---cheap
get rx7 tmic---cheap (free from scrappers if u can find one)

Excellent advice. The JAM will adapt to modifications nicely.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
just pull out the efi fuse, or take the battery terminals off for like 30 mins

The effect practically instant,give it about 10 seconds. then put them back on an let it run without touching the accelarator for 10minutes.

Worked everytime i did mine:)

So even if the ECU has been maped diffrently (From what i read, can be done??) to "Std JAM Setup" it CAN be wiped? or do you just mean.. resetting it so it picks up another "pre defined" map?

If all else fails and its a GT, I will happily try it for you!! :D .. If it works, done expect to see me back for my old one! lol

Adam_Glanza

Member +
well yeah it kinda needs to relearn wat settings your car has, it wont completely match them but will set itself to as close match as it can

Dempo

Member +
i always tought the jam ecu was self learning as in drive it for bout a week and it picks up whats done then fine tunes.Could be completly wrong but it was what i was told.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
The Jam ECU is setup initally to certan modifications. it can then adapt slightly. You should check out his Origional ECU Mine looks compleatly standard on the outside but the inside has been tampered with so it's basically a Jam ECU but made by an unknow manufacturer

rickie

Member +
By the way guys, my friend does not limit out in every gear, its just that he obviously knows what it can rev out at and thought that 7900 was too high for stock ecu.