Just blown piston out the block :( FML

TorbayGlanza

Fresh Recruit
Just got my car on road set off to have tyres and tracking done and boom bang there's a piston out side of my engine :(

was this in the corrolla that you have the 4e for sale no ? were you driving hard or just normall, such bad luck sorry dude, maybe if the moneys there could be an oppertunity to go forged ?

TorbayGlanza

Fresh Recruit
I don't really know a lot about it all just know pulls more power but I would like if people could point me in the right direction is it worth doing? Or do I just get another 4E bottom end and forge that I am open to people's opinions as I don't really know a lot.

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you have a spare grand then forge, if not and you can get a good bottom end, then i would stick with that if your not going mad.

TorbayGlanza

Fresh Recruit
A good friend of mine works for EngineTuner in Plymouth so he will be building it so building won't cost that much but how come it costs so much looking at parts how's does it add upto that :/

rwdrev

Member +
doing my engine was around £900, that was buying fresh 2nd hand pistons and rods, block deck, cross hatch, new - rings, bigends, mains, oil pump, gasket set, pressure switch, head bolts (they were chewed) timing belt kit, head skim, crank polish, buckets re-shimmed, oil, filter.

£110.80 for machine work and £96 for buckets, the rest was just on parts as i built it myself. so deffo needing atleast 2 grand to do things right.

dac69er

Super Moderator
forged pistons and rods can be got for under a grand new. the rest of the bits for the rebuild would be needed whether going forged or not, bearings, headgasket, gasket kit etc. add in he machine work and its just over a grand extra to go forged as apposed to a stock rebuild. the way i think about it is would i have £1000 more fun with the car if it was forged? probably not