Knocking from green bits on driveshaft

DavidAshton

Member +
Today I removed some soggy oem shocks and re fitted my trd shocks.

Now I have a crazy knocking noise from the drivetrain.

I'm pretty sure its the green plastic things on the drive shaft, they are the green bits directly after the shaft comes out of the box, I don't know there technical name.

they move freely from left to right and bang like fook against the box, I think the oem shocks must have moved the drive shaft or something.

Question is how do I shut them up....can i tighten them or do I have to move the drive shaft further in or something?

Please help its driving me mad.

Last edited:

corofin12345

Member +
inner cv joints mate and they are not plastic..if you can move the shaft in and out freely its normal, however, if theres alot of side to side movment then the inner cv joints are worn either at splines at box or where bearings go into joint... there is bearings on the end off the shaft that goes into inner cv joint.. these normallly seize over time and cause the banging.. my pictures below will explain more..

Image295-1.jpg

Image289-1.jpg

Image288-1.jpg

mine were seized and i took it apart and soaked the bearing in diesel over night.. cleaned them using wd40 and then a drop of motor oil, greased up the inner cv joint and put it back together

Last edited:

DavidAshton

Member +
Thanks for the pic, now I understand what I'm looking at.

on mine the shaft is solid but the green part moves from left to right over the shaft. this then knocks on the gear box. should the green bit be secure on the shaft and not have movement?

the more I drive it the better it seems to be getting.

corofin12345

Member +
those bearings float inside the "green" inner cv joint so the shaft can go in and out of it (for turning etc) if the green inner cv joint is moving in the box it could be worn splins.. if so just replace the "green" inner cv joint and it should solve that.. the reason why its seems to be getting better is probably cause its wearing a new spot.. if it settles after a bit i wouldnt worry about it