Laptop movies onto HDTV

mole76

Member +
This is probably an easy one for you computer wizzys out there.

How and what have i got to get or do, to watch movies on my hdtv from my laptop?

Got a lead to connect, when i select tv mode i just get blank screens :confused:. Am i doing something wrong or would softwear be the issue?

1080p hdtv samsung
( info on back don't know if its matters ) : A+B Movies plus, Anynet+/hdmi-cec,

Fujitsu siemens-Esprimo mobile, intel celeron, vista basic,wireless.

any help gratefull :beer: on me..

Steve

lingl9z

Member +
Indeed how are you connecting the laptop to the Tv?

Select the source on the Tv (some are hdmi/vga/svideo etc) then when the laptops connected and the source is selected on the laptop pres the FN key, bottom left somewhere usually highlighted in blue (on the laptop) + the key for lcd/tv/etc will be an Fkey... eg F8! screen should go black on laptop for a second then image should appear on both.

Rich.

mole76

Member +
I will get photo up of the lead asap guys. I will try and find the bag it came in.

I did try the FN and TV (F10 on mine) same problem!

gv1.3

Admin
I just use a vga cable and connect an audio jack from laptop headphone socket to audio in on my surround sound system and shes away :)

Its handy if your laptop supports dual displays as you can set the VGA out as the primary display and you dont have to keep doing the FN Fwhatever to get it to switch to the TV.

I use a dell d410 laptop with a terrabyte harddrive attached as a media system. The laptop just sits on top of my DVD player nice and quiet with the lid shut and when I want to watch anything I just switch to the "PC/VGA" source on my TV and away I go :)

djurny

Member +
which os are you using? on linux its a bit of a p.i.t.a. but as soon as you can get x to detect your attached displays (be sure to have the hdtv connected through vdi/vga/hdmi at startup) you should be fine.. sometimes it will not re-detect connected displays after they are connected when x has already started up.. it needs to be connected so that x can read the edid from the monitor to detect modes the monitor supports..
if you're not using linux, does your os detect the secondary display? as in, does it pop up when you select screen preferences (or some other 'advanced' menu)?