Leak in driver's side footwell.

John757

Member +
I seem to be taking on water in my drivers side footwell. I can't feel any water dripping down behind the dash, nor can I feel any water on the carpet up by the pedals (so I guess it isn't coming down from the firewall). So this makes me think that this little bugger is giving me the problems? Could I be right? Are there anymore rubber grommets anywhere that could be leaking? Or any other places I should be checking aswell as this? The general area where the grommet is soaked! Anyone got any wise ideas for drying the carpet and sealing the grommet?

02102008062.jpg

I am impressed with how easy it was to actually get the carpet up compared to all the other 4 car's i've owned. Well done Toyota!

Jay

Admin
Gravity will take the water there mate so it's hard to tell if the leak is coming from elsewhere.

The grommet (if weak) can let road water into from below but it's uncommon.

The water is only in the DSF area yeah?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i had a problem leak from that grommet. dried it all out. sealed it with silicone sealant and never had the problem again. the grommet was in good condition but i guess it just made its way in.

dont use the car in the wet anymore so dont have the worry ;)

John757

Member +
Yep the water is just in the DSF, no where else. It's just in the flat part of the footwell aswell, you'd of thought if it was coming down from the firewall somewhere that up around the pedals the carpet would be wet, especially underneath and it isnt. I can't decide what to do with this one.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Yep the water is just in the DSF, no where else. It's just in the flat part of the footwell aswell, you'd of thought if it was coming down from the firewall somewhere that up around the pedals the carpet would be wet, especially underneath and it isnt. I can't decide what to do with this one.

dry it out as best you can. remove the bung and check for splits in it. if it looks ok, silicone seal it up really well and then see if that stops it

John757

Member +
Well i've been out and lifted up the carpet as much as I can and layed down a towel and tissues. So Hopefully it'll dry soon. I layed one up by the pedals also, so I guess if that get's wet then it's coming down the dash/firewall.

John757

Member +
Right then. It's been leathering it down all night and day now. The carpets up and drying out pretty fast. Just had a look and felt the floor and it feels dry, so I guess it must be coming up from the bung when im driving? It doesn't look broken anywhere from the top, but it does have play in it when I wiggle it around, is that normal? Will seal it on Monday.

Jay

Admin
Sounds like it could be from below then mate, if there is a little movement in it then the lip may not be sealing properly. Give it a blast with the sealer and see if that stops it.