Lost compression...

Quick Nick

Member +
So the car was done BUT...

TONG Hybrid Turbo boosting up fine to 14psi, had the head rebuilt, new mani/decat rrfpr, clutch etc.

Since got it back there has been blue smoke but I thought it was the caked on oil burning off from the exhaust as I had my previous head gasket go on me.

Today I put my foot down a little and lost boost and got a horrible ticking noise. Coasted to my mechanic he said it sounds like bottom end going.

Did compression test found that in Cylinder 1 has no compression. What are the most likely causes/fix of this problem? Will I need a new block? pistons/piston rings?

Trying to put a checklist together of most common problems so I can go through it all, after just investing so much time and money in I cant really be assed to go mad on it again...

Mikey4410

Member +
Just tear it down and find out.if there none whatsoeva cud be a valve maybe? I have just had the 4th cyl low comp and twaz a bent rod. Have you got no compression at all?

Quick Nick

Member +
I think there is no compression at all..

Only had the hybrid on and finished on Friday, fuel pressure was good at 2.7/2.8 but had no time to RR before if went again.

If a piston ring goes would that cause loss of compression instantly?

WallaceGlanza

Member +
That fuel pressure sounds a bit low for a hybrid at nearly 1 bar, could well have run lean and done damage that way by not getting the car setup properly. You won't be the first to have done that and certainly not the last....

Last edited:

ALaN

Member +
Fuel pressure sounds very low to me also. It's usually around 3.2 bar or sumit at a bar. If that is the case then I would guess ringland failure on one of your pistons as this is quite common with oe pistons

just noticed you say you put your foot down a little, how much is a little? Full boost? And for how long?

Quick Nick

Member +
yeah put my foot down coming out of a junction may have hit full boost very briefly if at all before the problem occurred.

I have never heard anyone say fueling should be anything above 3BAR before!! This may well be the problem, was running it all weekend with that setup and went like shit off a stick, but starting seeing blue smoke fairly quickly after I got it back so if was running lean and did quick damage to the pistonrings (what are ringlands??) then perhaps this explains both the blue smoke and the loss of compression in cyl 1.

Would this really have happened that quickly though I have prob only done about 50 miles in it since I got it back

churcherj

Member +
yeah put my foot down coming out of a junction may have hit full boost very briefly if at all before the problem occurred.

I have never heard anyone say fueling should be anything above 3BAR before!! This may well be the problem, was running it all weekend with that setup and went like shit off a stick, but starting seeing blue smoke fairly quickly after I got it back so if was running lean and did quick damage to the pistonrings (what are ringlands??) then perhaps this explains both the blue smoke and the loss of compression in cyl 1.

Would this really have happened that quickly though I have prob only done about 50 miles in it since I got it back

depends how hard you were boosting, and if it hasnt been set up properly as in afr's checked then you can do some serious damage just overboosting slightly and running lean. also depends on lots of variables such as the current condition of the piston rings etc and other components. tbh its a bad idea changing turbo setup and boosting past fuel cut without getting a proper rolling road setup. keep it below fuel cut until you can get it setup otherwise its asking for trouble imo

Quick Nick

Member +
depends how hard you were boosting, and if it hasnt been set up properly as in afr's checked then you can do some serious damage just overboosting slightly and running lean. also depends on lots of variables such as the current condition of the piston rings etc and other components. tbh its a bad idea changing turbo setup and boosting past fuel cut without getting a proper rolling road setup. keep it below fuel cut until you can get it setup otherwise its asking for trouble imo

Yeah well staying on the safe side is never a bad move...its just never as much fun:p

Saying that, I was supposed to take a party out to the 'ring leading them in the starlet and that is clearly getting cancelled now :mad:

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

when doing so always make sure that you have a wideband onboard, a great item to have as you can setup the way you like and the way its the right!

im also using the Tong Hybrid at 0.93bar with standard fuel pressure of 2.3bar (with a SARD fpr) but with a Blitz Access ecu (as these ecus prefer stock fp), setup was made with the AEM wideband and fine tuned with a SAFC and its running very gd AFRs in all rev range, low 11s at high boost/14.9 idle/14.5 to 16 when criusing and decrease proportionally to 11s when accelerating etc etc

as others said it also depends on what condition the engine was etc etc

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
particuarly standard pistons matey, so yes it can happen that quickly.
i ran my forged lump in using standard ecu and td04 at .5bar, just to make sure things were safe.
i think u may have learnt a tough lesson, dont bolt things on and take for granted.

but on a better note, whip off your sump, to check for bent rods or any metal fillings in oil.

churcherj

Member +
Yeah well staying on the safe side is never a bad move...its just never as much fun:p

Saying that, I was supposed to take a party out to the 'ring leading them in the starlet and that is clearly getting cancelled now :mad:

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

haha tell me bout it, my td04 is only running 0.6 - 0.7 bar and its boring :( feels like theres no go to it, reving hard but not really going that fast lol! owell id rather that than have a blown engine or summin until i can get it mapped and will be fun then :) plus ive tried to run 0.8 bar and everytime i do my intercooler pipes blow off! what a bitch! :haha:

Quick Nick

Member +
All very valid points; never wanted to get busy with ECU's and general management stuff as once you get involved in that you spend and spend...

I think that new piston rings and up the fuel pressure and we should be back on the road again...at least long enough to get to a RR