main bearing shells/thrust washers

liamgtturbo

Member +
firstly hello everyone havent been online in ages :)

ok so my problem is that approx 1yr ago i had new big end and main bearigns put in, the crank was lightly marked, so sanded down and built bk together professionnally. over th past yr the car has been goin like a dream. yday i decided i would tidy up a few niggly things on the car, 1 being the sump leakin needing resealed. i pulled the sump off, went 2 empty the excess oil in the sump and found 2 thrust washers in it ?? any ideas why that happened. also decided to check the main bearings all of which where scratched and big ends where fine. checked the crank and its now like new, is it possible the mains wore the crank cleanally and wrecked them doin so. anyone any ideas on the thrust washers thou. ordered new mains and washers, but i dont want to have to do this again. thanks liam

Last edited:

whiteglanzav

Member +
sorry mate i dont think i explained it properly

i'm talking about the main caps - as in the 4 caps that detatch from the block and hold the crank down

are they the originals ??

whiteglanzav

Member +
hmmm sounds strange mate i dunno what it could be i dont s'pose you checked what they wer torqued to before you undid them ?

liamgtturbo

Member +
No never did mate, only the washers in cylinder no.3 was off. crank looks like new, few scratches on the bearings etc, replacin them tomoro but i want the car right and hopefully not have to do it for a while

whiteglanzav

Member +
all i can think of then is an installation problem thats worked its way loose -

just make sure that when it gets built back up that everything is 110%