Map sensor needed - running rich

rid1ridz14

Member +
Do any of you guys have a working map sensor? Jay or anyone?
Im running rich, black smoke on acceleration, exhaust sputters, crazy smell of fuel…
Any help pls

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
I'm all out of MAP sensors.

Sounds like over fueling but run the fault codes and report back.

rid1ridz14

Member +
Yes over fueling for sure, ordered a tomei fpr but doubt that will help.. connected the 2 ports in the diagnostic port but no codes shows.

do you mean reading through a obd2 port?

Jay

Admin
Ideally get it checked with a wide band, you would need that done to setup the fuel regulator anyway.

Jay

Admin
It gives you a real world figure that lets you see what the fueling is doing without blindly stabbing with guesses.

If you are introducing an adjustable fuel regulator into the mix that adds another variable. For example, if the car is overfueling, how far do you dial the FPR back? It's quite an important question as if you lean out the mixture too much the engine runs lean and detonates causing internal damage.

The concern is that we are assuming it is overfueling but there could be an ignition/wiring/ecu fault at work causing unburnt fuel and poor running. It's very difficult to give a definite answer over the net. Last time I had a similar issue it was a dead coolant temp sender so you could be dealing with a random sensor fault.

If you have a local tuner they should be able to check air/fuel ratio and offer some advice. If nothing else do some reading on AFR values, might help you confirm the symptoms.

rid1ridz14

Member +
Do getting a afr setup (gauge/sensor) should give clear my doubts, any suggestions on afr brand setups? Aem or something else? Something that won’t put a hole in my pocket

Jay

Admin
An AFR gauge would be a good indicator in general but a check from a local tuner would probably be cheaper plus you would get an experienced second opinion. I've only used Innovate widebands but other brands are available.

On mine I got a fault code once it started properly dicking about so if your codes are clear it's unlikely to be that. Did you ever get your throttle valve to behave correctly?

dac69er

Super Moderator
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Specifically on the pipe that leads to the map sensor. The pipes are pretty old now and are likely deteriorated and could be split

rid1ridz14

Member +
sadly no local tuner here tbh.. but do you think with a obd1 to obd2 adapter, will an obd2 scanner show any codes or anything?

as so my throttle body, bought one but it ended up making my idle go to 2000 rpm lol, so I used mine, opened the waxstat, boiled it in water and saw that the pin was moving so it was good, re assembled and now my idle is at 1250rpm, still not great but it better than it was before.
An AFR gauge would be a good indicator in general but a check from a local tuner would probably be cheaper plus you would get an experienced second opinion. I've only used Innovate widebands but other brands are available.

On mine I got a fault code once it started properly dicking about so if your codes are clear it's unlikely to be that. Did you ever get your throttle valve to behave correctly?

rid1ridz14

Member +
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Specifically on the pipe that leads to the map sensor. The pipes are pretty old now and are likely deteriorated and could be split
yes checked and replaced a bunch of hose to new silicon ones, still running rich

rid1ridz14

Member +
Here is a pic u can see I did change the hoses..
Tbh been figuring out for so long what could be it.. changed a bunch of stuff

Attachments

• IMG_1896.jpeg
    IMG_1896.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 13

rid1ridz14

Member +
I think I will go with innovate..
Been reading articles on wideband etc

i wanted to know how wideband (afr) readings will help me find the problem more accurately..

Jay

Admin
Bear in mind the wideband will not fix your issue, just confirm if you are running rich and to what degree. It will also allow the adjustment of AFR's in the future.

Currently it is a guess what the car is doing (No fault codes or AFR reading).

If your intent is to fit an adjustable fuel regulator you could make it richer and leaner at the twist of a screw so guessing at the AFR is blind luck. Better to see the target you are aiming at.

Hope that makes sense.

rid1ridz14

Member +
Yes I understand what you’re saying, thanks Jay for the clarification.
Target is to get the car to run normal, no running rich etc, then down the road upgrade ecu.

Reactions: Jay

SKINY

Lifer
All turbo Toyotas run a wee bit rich, like a safety feature lol, the Caldina bangs then gives a puff of black overfuel when you take it to the limiter :)