Marked cam lobes?

Glanza_MK

Member +
Guys,

Just whipped the rocker cover off tonight as I was stripping things down in the engine bay to get the head off. I was having a close look and noticed that the edges on a couple of the exhaust cam lobes were marked. It was worst on the inside of the left hand lobe, exhaust cam, cylinder 3. It just looks like its been worn down slightly on the edge. The only other one to have it that I could see was inside of the left hand lobe, exhaust cam, cylinder 1.

So what can cause this? Will I need new cams when I replace the cylinder head?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

John

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
any pics mate?

i found one that looked similar to what your saying.. only from the side!

its not clear but maybe you can compare it to yours

CIMG0138.jpg

Glanza_MK

Member +
Yeah, thats pretty much it mate although its a bit more localised than that. I.e. it doesnt go all the way down the edge but it is slightly deeper markings than that.

What caused it on that one?

Glanza_MK

Member +
Sounds ok to me then. My head needs replacing anyway so I might end up getting unmarked cams in whichever replacement one I get!

Anyone else?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
also i never found any metal in the oil... and never heard anything strange.. surely if it rubbed that badly to something cam shaft will lift itself and break the bolts or at least i would have heard something.. so i guess it was there

billybob

Untrusted Seller
seen them on a few starlets like the ones in the pics must be there when out of the factory no problems with them should be fine