mazda mx5

boostup

Member +
any info on these as am thinking about buying one as a daily run about what are they like i need somthing reliable? whats the best engine size i was thinking about the 1.6? i want to get the import as they got a better stance? what you think guys?:cool:

lingl9z

Member +
They are epic little cars once you get past all the hairdresser jokes! very reliable cars, a lot of fun in the wet I had a 1.8 uk spec which was crap loads of fun, handled like a charm even on stock suspension!

They can be turboed on standard internals (goldenvtr on here has done that) I will deffo get another when money / space allows!

boostup

Member +
They are epic little cars once you get past all the hairdresser jokes! very reliable cars, a lot of fun in the wet I had a 1.8 uk spec which was crap loads of fun, handled like a charm even on stock suspension!

They can be turboed on standard internals (goldenvtr on here has done that) I will deffo get another when money / space allows!

sounds good :) i was thinking of getting the 1.6 is the tax still the same as the 1.8? wat are they like to insure am 21 and ive got 1 years ncb and been driving for 3 years?

lingl9z

Member +
http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

Head over there mate, very helpful site! I'm not sure if I was 20 or 21 when I had it, would have been 2 or 3 years claims and was around 700fc I think, the eunos is a bit pricer to insure and I'm sure the tax is the same ( I have heard that the eunos 1.6 is the better!

alan_d, goldenvtr and starlet_sam all have mx5's (pretty smart ones too!)

boostup

Member +
http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

Head over there mate, very helpful site! I'm not sure if I was 20 or 21 when I had it, would have been 2 or 3 years claims and was around 700fc I think, the eunos is a bit pricer to insure and I'm sure the tax is the same ( I have heard that the eunos 1.6 is the better!

alan_d, goldenvtr and starlet_sam all have mx5's (pretty smart ones too!)

cheers mate:beer: parts easy to get for them? are there any common problems that you no of? going to join that site nw:)

lingl9z

Member +
Yeah everythings fairly easy to get since theres a bag load of uk spec's so parts are interchangable etc, the problem I kept finding when looking at uk spec's was the sills was rusting, not so much on the eunos! so make sure you check for spots of rust on the arches and sills!, there's also a problem I think with sticking hydrolic lifters (I think that's what it was) and they kept sticking on mine when I'd start it but if I turnt it off and back on would be fine (more annoying than a major issue tbh) seem's that a decent oil change sorted that out!

lingl9z

Member +
this was my old one still miss it just lost the joy after a women crashed in to me!

SDC10424Small.jpg

SDC10427Small.jpg

SDC10428Small.jpg

SDC10286.jpg

SDC10295.jpg

SDC10303.jpg

dac69er

Super Moderator
loved mine, apart from the fact it was red which made it a hassle to keep looking good. brilliant little car, person i sold it to still has it and loves it.

i will most likely get another one to use on track soon. regret selling it :(

make sure you get an early 1.6 as the later ones were gay and had less power. insurance is better on the 1.6 and its supposedly the better engine. didnt do much to mine but it had a decent bit of go in it!

boostup

Member +
sounds good lads if i do get 1 and its not my cup of tea are the fairly easy to get rid of? as i dont want to be stuck with it if i dont like it? and do the roofs leak on them?

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds good lads if i do get 1 and its not my cup of tea are the fairly easy to get rid of? as i dont want to be stuck with it if i dont like it? and do the roofs leak on them?

sold mine fairly easily, always people out there on the look out for one.

as for the roofs. if its old then it will most likely leak to some degree. if its had a new one then check its been fitted properly as mine wasnt and it leaked until i fixed it in correctly.

they are great little cars. pretty easy to work on too.

lingl9z

Member +
I sold mine fairly easily in the end. My roof never leaked but the rubber seals around the window was missing and would let water in when you turnt left or right which was a pain, but £3 later it was sorted! Another common problem is the rear window getting milky/discourled and almost impossible to see out of lol.

boostup

Member +
cheers lads am actully excited ive decided am going to got for the 1.6 enous import do some of them come with the factory body kit as i seen a few for sale with body kits i dont want no chav body kit somthing that jus gives it better stance somthing that gives it that jdm look if uno what i mean?:cool:

s.murphy

Leinster Area Rep.
Work for a mazda dealership in Ireland and see a good few of these. Can suffer with rear calipers seizing and have seen couple of English ones rusted very badly underneath, like alot of cars over there:p. Genuine parts are rediculously expensive for all old Mazdas to be honest, not sure about prices in England, but plenty of parts can be got elsewhere. They are a great little car and are usually hassle free once you get a decent one. Im sure you will love one if you do decide to get one.

Stuart

dac69er

Super Moderator
i had a rear caliper siezed. think thats just an older car thing tbh.

i find mx5parts prices pretty good tbh. some parts are really well priced tbh, plus so many second hand spares about.

as said, rust is the main thing. the sills rusting on earlier cars is partly due to the inadequate drain holes. you can open them out to be a bt better which helps.

if you get a solid one and make sure its all cleaned through and all drainage holes are clear etc then the rust is unlikely to be too much of a problem

boostup

Member +
i had a rear caliper siezed. think thats just an older car thing tbh.

i find mx5parts prices pretty good tbh. some parts are really well priced tbh, plus so many second hand spares about.

as said, rust is the main thing. the sills rusting on earlier cars is partly due to the inadequate drain holes. you can open them out to be a bt better which helps.

if you get a solid one and make sure its all cleaned through and all drainage holes are clear etc then the rust is unlikely to be too much of a problem

cheers ive got a choice of the mx5 or get another starlet as my brother uses the current one iswell tbh i just need a solid car to get about in for a year or so:drive:

alan_d

Lifer
hard to beat the fives :D
mines away this week for a thicker headgasket, arp studs, sard cool thermostat, and screamer kit, it was 196bhp atw @ 5psi beforehand, more to follow!

its nearly a struggle not to modify them - every one ive seen has been different in some way or other!

heres my steed:

26942_118608601488681_100000186259806_289120_1239583_n.jpg

23701_116212181728323_100000186259806_278331_193587_n.jpg

26942_118608258155382_100000186259806_289117_2844976_n.jpg

26942_118606838155524_100000186259806_289113_5093241_n.jpg

boostup

Member +
looks nice alan.to some up everything the 1.6 enous import engine and box are solid? if i do get one am going to keep it fairly stock tbh apart from body and alloys

gv1.3

Admin
test drove a couple and they were great little cars, sideways on a roundabout in an auto 1.6 :)

Only thing you might not like is the size of them... I would highly recommend test driving one before deciding to import. The cabin is very small, not for claustrophobic!

Id have one as a weekend car without a second thought.