metal particles in engine oil ,im worried

nexia201

Member +
so it all starts with me having a change of pistons and rings 2 weeks ago (as for bearings i was told to leave the ones i had as they were in only for 5-6months ) now i checked the oil of the running inn and had metal particles in ,changed to the fully synth one and now that one is full too. called my mech and he was a bit like shocked and asked me 'is the engine running ok ?' i said yeah its not nocking or anything but im just worried it is from the bearings and i dont know if i should open the sump and change them before the actual rattling begin , anyone had this happen to him after running inn????

Gilly2006

Member +
i wouldn't say its a normal thing by the sounds of it, how many miles has the engine done?
who built the engine?

FeNder

Member +
well i wasnt running in the engine but has wrong piston clearance so there was some play in the stroke , affected the bearings a bit n got some of that metal there

finx

Member +
not a good sign man. there should never be any metal shavings in your engine oil, and its definitely not a case of happening because the engine is running in. something is not correct.

safest option would be to get your mechanic to drop the sump off and check the bearings over. last thing you want is a stuffed bottom end. they shouldnt charge you for this seeming as they have just had the engine apart.

1bar

Member +
ill get that checkbook ready if i was you...like the previous poster said "There should never be any metal shaving of any sort" Better to get it sorted asap and avoid driving until its sorted.

nexia201

Member +
what piss me off is the fact that i told him to change the bearings and he said there is no need to ,but i dont like to reuse bearings once they have worked and are disturbed , the metal there is is not shavings but more like when you pull out the gearboxx oil and it has a metal streak in it. thesame mechanic already build the engine another time and it didnt have problems (appart it ran lean and broke a ringland ) but that has nothing to do with him.

nexia201

Member +
just got sms from him he said it could be a coating there was on the pistons ,but he told me to take the car tonight to open the sump and check the bearings (well more like change them as im not gona let him put it back with the old ones again

finx

Member +
shouldn't have been any metal coatings on the pistons.... they should have been cleaned and lubed before installation. sounds like excuses to me. dont let him charge you for the check over, but you will have to pay for the new bearings.

if your not there while he has it apart ask for pictures of the bearings and the crankshaft journals

Last edited:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
hmm, when i had this it wasnt the bearings ivan, it turned out to be the small end bearings... did u use new gudgeion pins on thenew pistons?

but definately take it back, u will get a little ("lega ta frak") when running in, but not alot, one more thing to check is drop a magenet in you oil, if its aluminium be worried, if its metal i wouldnt be too worried, but best recheck everything...

biz zobb gejja dan l-ahhar man qisu... :shoot:

nexia201

Member +
its not steel its alu as i tried it last night with a magnet and nothing moved ,kon who told you im not worried already i could hardly sleep last night haq alla

nexia201

Member +
so took off the sump and he had a look and said everythiing look ok , but i was Still worried So I just went on with Removing The Bearings and There fuc ked so t hats what the metal in the oil bloody is i

350ep70gr

Member +
so took off the sump and he had a look and said everythiing look ok , but i was Still worried So I just went on with Removing The Bearings and There fuc ked so t hats what the metal in the oil bloody is i

And crank journals also mate? All of the bearing or just one set?

Chris

nexia201

Member +
And crank journals also mate? All of the bearing or just one set?

Chris

no not all just from rod no1 and 2 , tonight we cleaned and prepped the crank and checked the clearance of it with the new bearings so its ready for the new bearings tommorrow we are going to pressure wash engine from underneath and check oil pump if everything good bearings will be fitted and we will run the engine :rockon:

SeanGTturbo

Member +
the gears its self on the oilpump, mine was worn dat bad it was startn to siezeul c the way dey are neway hard2 explain. was ur oil light comeing onat low idle??

finx

Member +
not necessarily the oil pump, could be due to wrong fitiment or not being cleaned properly when fitted. many other contributing factors also.

oil pump is however is defiantly something to be checking over. the surfaces should all be smooth and there shouldn't be any scoring or marks. its quite possible that something has been picked up from the sump and gone through the oil filter then the pump and then onto the big ends.
if the oil pump is damaged/has chunks missing from anywhere or score marks then i would also be dropping the main caps in place and checking those bearings over as well. most important part of the pump for there to be no marks is around the pointed ends. sorry for lack of correct terminology im having a mind blank today. there is proper more descriptive names for the oil pump components.

if the oil pump has shat itself like the previous poster has mentioned it would not have been no one and two that picked up the bearings. no 4 and sometimes 3 will go fist if this is the case as they are the last to get the oil as they are the furthest away from the pump and therefore will be receiving no or little oil pressure. where as one and 2 can still be receiving enough to survive, just. depending on how badly it may be damaged. this is also the reason why the oil pressure sender is right at the back of the block

so you pulled all 4 caps off and check them all? and you were lucky and there isn't any scoring or markings on the crankshaft big end journals? how did you 'prep' it?

when you put it back together i would be inclined to put an oil pressure gauge on it also and see what is happening there.

Last edited:

nexia201

Member +
not necessarily the oil pump, could be due to wrong fitiment or not being cleaned properly when fitted. many other contributing factors also.

oil pump is however is defiantly something to be checking over. the surfaces should all be smooth and there shouldn't be any scoring or marks. its quite possible that something has been picked up from the sump and gone through the oil filter then the pump and then onto the big ends.
if the oil pump is damaged/has chunks missing from anywhere or score marks then i would also be dropping the main caps in place and checking those bearings over as well. most important part of the pump for there to be no marks is around the pointed ends. sorry for lack of correct terminology im having a mind blank today. there is proper more descriptive names for the oil pump components.

if the oil pump has shat itself like the previous poster has mentioned it would not have been no one and two that picked up the bearings. no 4 and sometimes 3 will go fist if this is the case as they are the last to get the oil as they are the furthest away from the pump and therefore will be receiving no or little oil pressure. where as one and 2 can still be receiving enough to survive, just. depending on how badly it may be damaged. this is also the reason why the oil pressure sender is right at the back of the block

so you pulled all 4 caps off and check them all? and you were lucky and there isn't any scoring or markings on the crankshaft big end journals? how did you 'prep' it?

when you put it back together i would be inclined to put an oil pressure gauge on it also and see what is happening there.

thanks

very helpfull

i had to prep the crank as i didnt like the work he was doing on it as after he said its ready i could still feel the material from the bearing on it , so i sanded it with some 1500 grit paper then when i felt that it was flat with no bumps i did it with 2,000 and 2,500 and it came mirror finish and most important flat , then we checke the crank with an old method they teach them at mechanic scool here that is put a piece of newspaper between the crank and bearing tighten and try to turn crank and it shouldnt turn ,removed it and it turns properly (i dont know how accurate that is but in the assence of a platigauge kit that will have to do ) tonight we were gona try the oilpump to check if it still pulling fluids as he said if it can pull up a thinner fluid than oil then it should be ok with oil and the fluid going through it shoul clean the pimp from the inside if there is still any residue in there.