Mk1 GT quaife diff?

dac69er

Super Moderator
I assume the diff I want is part number:

QDF15E​

However, I read on an old post on ukstarletoweners about MK1 GTs having a 6 bolt diff?
Is this utter horse shit, or do I have to take my box apart to find out first before I order?

Anyone know for sure?

Jay may have some information on that topic....i recall a recent discussion

you could always try a search on www.toyodiy.com using your chassis # to check as well

to be safe, if i were you, i'd take the box apart to make sure

Jay

Admin
Did someone mention me?

The master of horse shit has arrived :p

Yes the 6 bolt diffs were a thing. Pain in the hole when you find one. I have a stock of um.. stock diffs if anyone gets stuck.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Good to know it was not utter crap.

I noticed the ep71 diff is a 6 bolt. Would that fit instead or is it different again?

I agree, the best option would be to take apart to confirm I guess. It's only the gear I would need to fit to the new diff I assume?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i just bought it anyway as it has a lead time on it. box should be out this weekend anyway,

will come back if i need to beg anyone for an 8 bolt ring gear :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
are the ring gear and pinion supposed to be a "set" or can they be used/swapped independently?
I get the impression they can be swapped separately. I guess they "should" be a matched pair as these boxes are now quite old, they would have worn to each other. Not sure how much difference that would really make though as the diff would have new bearings and be re-shimmed, so would probably sit in a slightly different place anyway

from past discussions, i've been led to believe that they were to be a "matching set"...but i don't have any real world evidence, so i threw the question out there.
i suppose you will help us to find out :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
Diff arrived today. Need to book it in to be installed now.
Wish me luck that I have an 8 bolt diff currently........

Reactions: Jay

dac69er

Super Moderator
I'm taking it in next week. They said they should be able to turn it round in a couple of weeks if I leave it with them :)