More problems, please look!

Idrees

Banned
Hi guys,

As usual the yellow car is being a pain in the arse.

1) Yesterday I was "opening her up" on an empty road, and the handbreak and battery light just randomly came on. They have stayed on since, any ideas why?

2) Driving it home today from a garage, and everything seemed really slack. I had been driving it for about 10 minutes but the heaters still failed to warm up. The wipers were very slow and the speedo lights went dim, along with the headlights. As I got near home everything felt as it died out, the speedo lights were hardly giving out any light and I couldn't see the road so I'm guessing the headlights went really shit too.

The battery seems fine, it has always started first time etc so I'm guessing that isn't the problem.

Any ideas on what to check?

Rory

Lifer
Check the handbrake sensor at the handbrake, probably full of gunk.

As for the battery light, either the belt has come off the alternator or the alternator is dying.
Or the belt is slack.

Idrees

Banned
Just had a look, and it looks like the alternator belt has snapped and fallen off.

I thought I heard a noise yesterday! It must have been that, I stopped and had a quick look but did not notice anything.

This has probably stopped the water pump functioning? I could hear a bubbling noise from the engine bay last night too, just like a kettle but louder. I didn't notice guage overheating though, but I'm not sure because I did not even look at it.

Have I badly broken something?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
could have damaged headgasket etc, but the chances are it'll have survived mate, that'll explain the cold heaters and gauge not registering much as the water in those areas will have been cooler as it wasn't circulating properly.

weakboy2

Member +
oh dear, sounds like you may well have cooked your engine mate, put some new belts on there and run it up. you may have got away with it!

Hope its ok :(

cole

Member +
i doubt theres owt wrong with it then idrees but if it is ...

you can only turbo it ! ! !

Idrees

Banned
No chance Cole, I have just spent another fortune on it to get it road worthy and it was sooooooooooo close and this happens.

cole

Member +
No chance Cole, I have just spent another fortune on it to get it road worthy and it was sooooooooooo close and this happens.

lol only minor mate a belts only a few quid :)

id say 100 % ur engine will be fine but if it isnt u have to turbo it man

Idrees

Banned
Thanks for the heads up guys, I really hope the engine is okay too. :(

I'll get a new belt tomorrow and see what happens.