MOT Major Fail

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
Right well the GT has been off the road since June and they Skyline is goin off road now for the winter so time for the Starlet to make a comeback. I booked MOT for yesterdat @5.10pm. Have been starting the car since went off road and driving out back roads to keep it fresh. Fitted new handbrake cable, cv boot and fixed any other little things that were bugging me.

Drove to mot centre last night full of smiles, passed emissions test, passed all lights test then car wouldn't start again. I had just put half tank of petrol in it before i left the house aswell. Tried for good hour and still nothing so ended up with a tow truck home. Thanks to Jay for talking me through a few suspected problems while i was sitting there so gna have to start from scratch and work my way round the whoile car.

Strange though, i have a 255lph fuel pump with ignition on i usually hear the wine from it but nothing last night. Never had any problems with this car. To top it all off the MOT tester then came outside n told me he was failing the car on the taillights as they are too dark. There is a slight smoke done on them but car has passed mot for the past 4 years like that i presume.

06112010530.jpg

06112010528.jpg

Last edited:

J25GTi

Lifer
It all depends on the tester mate, as long as you can see the reflectors then it shouldn't be an issue.

But when people smoke their lights they tend to not mask up the reflector!

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
Ye at night you can see it all perfect, the git even brought over near every tester in the place to show them so i aint going back there again, but Jay has kindly offered to lend me a set incase the issue appears again. But the tester only noticed the "problem" as one light had a slight bit of it peeled off at the top, onlyt for that he would not have noticed. Will get a pic of both night & day with all the lights going. There is one of the day with lights off.

03102010053.jpg

J25GTi

Lifer
Some mot testers are right jobsworths. I'm supposed to be getting my V motd this week, and it dfoesnt have a cat. I know I'm going to have a problem with it!

Did you get it restarted?

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
Don't worry about the cat, both TD04 Glanzas i put together have decats and both passed with flying colours.

Not yet, just heading out now to get stuck into it. Gna take inujectors out, fuel filter & fuel pump and give them all a good clean then check everything else out aswell.

J25GTi

Lifer
Make sure when you check the fuel pump don't run it for more than a second or two out of the tank.

The petrol helps to lubricate the pump so will sieze if you run it without for a while

weeJohn

Lifer
If you bridge out B+ and FP in the diagnostics plug the fuel pump will run when the ignition is at IG2. Its easier to hear without the engine going and if there is a fault its easy to trace wiring and you wont do any damage to the engine.

IMO its easier and better to replace the fuel filter than clean it out. Give the dizzy a once ocer as well.

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
Well good news it's all up n running perfect. Turned out to be the fcd, once i disconnected it the car fired up and has been running perfect since, as i said to Jay on the Phone earlier fcd has been wired in since Feb and never give me any bother until i turned up at MOT centre which is a bit strange.

As for the fail sheet it says: 215 Misc Defect, engine failed to start at stage 2, stages 3@4 not completed.

Retest is Wed 4.20pm but doing it in Lisburn this time and if rear light problem comes up again I'm gna go fookin nuts at them as it has passed this way before no problems.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Good luck make, My starlet failed once because I had a small crack on the side on the front indicator!!!! It worked perfectly fine but he failed me! What a ............... So it's all down to the garage!

Ryan87

Member +
Did it go to craigavon the 1st time jay? The past two years i have took my car there i have had nothing but shit from them. Took it to lisburn this year for a retest because craigavon failed it and they pasted it no problem sound bunch of fella's to that day were out with me talking about the car

Last edited:

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
Ye was @ Craigavon last night when all the shit happened. Have then rebooked it for Lisburn on Wednesday now. Shower of gobshites in that place.

Ryan87

Member +
tell me about i will not be back near it. Have her car up for mot in two weeks and its going to lisburn

nanglebadger

Member +
agreed about Lisburn - mine failed there on saturday but the lads were talkin to me about the car and reving it to get the dump valve going, they failed her for a genuine reason which i cant complain about, so Lisburn is where i'd recommend Jay buddy.

Phil.

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
Ye got a new gasket today for the oil feed which stopped the slight leak so spending all day tomorrow giving it a full inspection and clean every inch of the car.

@ Phil, when you up again?

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
After a panic driving about Lisburn for an hour as Halfords didnt have any red reflectors in stock i finally got some and stuck them on the car, but when car went through test the gits never even checked them.

Good news is car passed with flying colours woo hoo, get it taxed on Mon hopefully.