moving music files rep given

andy87

Member +
yes lads small problem

iam trying to move music files from windowws media player onto my mp3 player its a samsung p2

the mp3 is showing up in the sync menu ok and i usually just have to click and drag the music across but most of the cd's i have wont let this happen

is there anyway around this problem like downloading another program instead of using windows media player etc

thank you

Andy

danb87

South East England Area Rep
the way i used too do it on my old mp3 was go through the program files an find all my music stored in media player playlists, then open another window through my computer open the mp3 up then go back too the media player files. then highlight the ones you want an drag them across, an then it offers too convert .

that might do the trick matey.

:)

BoostJunkie

Member +
Sorry to hi-jack your thread mate but having a similar problem with my ipod tough 4g i have a new laptop and want to transfer my music onto my new itunes library but it wants to "Erase & Sync" my current library on my ipod, and no way do i want to lose the music i have on there, took me ages to put it on in the first place.

Anyone know how to get round this ?

Cheers

dark_knight

Member +
@andy87: what version of windows media player are you using..? the latest (version 12 - which comes with windows 7) should allow you to do this in a breeze. tell us what os (operating system) you are running (including whether it's 32- or 64-bit) and i'll help you out. in summary though, it should be a drag-and-drop procedure, BUT remember you can't do this directly from CD to your portable media player. you will have to first 'rip' the tracks to your pc (using a program like windows media player - please remember to rip in mp3 format) and then once ripped, transfer from your pc to the portable media player. it's only exceptional situations like in iToones where you are allowed to rip from CD to device directly.

@BoostJunkie: so lemi get this straight; it's the laptop that's new and you want to sync the media you have on your iPod to the laptop without loosing the old music. correct..?
the following steps assume you have a windows-based pc and iTunes installed :)

01] connect ur iPod to ur pc
02] when iTunes opens up, don't select the "Erase & Sync" option. if iTunes didn't start up, it's ok
03] go to 'My Computer > Apple iPod' or whatever u named it
04] open the drive, and open the folder called 'iPod_Control'. for this step to work, you need to have enabled 'hidden files view' and you can do this by going to 'Tools > Folder Options > View > Show Hidden Files, Folders & Drives' from the file menu
05] it will open and you'll be able to view the folders within - find the folder called 'Music'
06] copy the 'Music' folder and paste it on a location on your hard drive
07] right-click the 'Music' folder and un-check the HIDDEN option and 'Apply changes to this folder, subfoler, and files'
08] open iTunes, and drag all your media from the folder you created into the iTunes library
09) ensure you have enough room on your iPod then sync your iLibrary with your iPod!

all the best to the both of ya.. :D

Last edited:

andy87

Member +
cheers spacecraft

i had to change media player to rip in mp3 format and then it worked out for me

good man and rep added

Andy

BoostJunkie

Member +
Spacecraft i cant find the ipod control folder i have enabled hidden files view as you said but ipod control is not showing up as i try to access the files of the ipod the only file i can see is the internal storage file ??

thanks for your help mate ;)

dark_knight

Member +
@BoostJunkie: no offense by asking this but it's a legit Apple iPod, not an imitation..? :) hehehe the iPod Control folder should show. please let me know which OS you are running; Windows 7..? Vista..? XP..? i may be able to assist once i have a little more information on your setup. lmk when you can..

BoostJunkie

Member +
Lol yes its a genuine ipod touch bought from a shop, the os system on the laptop is windows 7 home premium

Cheers

dark_knight

Member +
@BoostJunkie: lol.. even the imitations are bought from a shop.. :D hehehe
anyway, back to serious biz, just one more thing you could try; in Win7, there's also the option to "hide protected operating system files". iPod control files may be considered in this category of os files and Win7 could be hiding them. please go back and check that this is UNchecked - follow the image link to see what i'm talking about. let me know.. cheers.

BoostJunkie

Member +
Done as you said and still not opening up the ipod control folder only folder i can access is still the internal storage folder ???

Cheers

dark_knight

Member +
@BoostJunkie: would you mind sending me the serial number of your iPod touch. i want to check what os it's running and may be able to help from the info i gather on that. only if you can. lmk. cheers..
ps: clear out your mailbag. i tried pm'ing you with no luck.. :|

dark_knight

Member +
iPod serial ID

@BoostJunkie: would you mind sending me the serial number of your iPod touch. i want to check what os it's running and may be able to help from the info i gather on that. only if you can. lmk. cheers..
ps: clear out your mailbag. i tried pm'ing you with no luck.. :|