My 5E build:)

Ooomoo

Member +
Hey peeps thought id post up what im doing at the mo :) this is my first engine build so bare with me and please feel free to comment on anything im doing wrong lol..

The parts collected :

The rusty old 5e block
100_3772.jpg

100_3778.jpg

The 4e and 5e flywheels, im having the 4e machined at the min to the 5e bolt pattern, and the exedy clutch :D
100_3768.jpg

100_3773.jpg

Random bits lol
100_3769.jpg

100_3771.jpg

4E head with 5E cams, just waiting to port is all Whoop Whoop!!
100_3774.jpg

4E upper inlet, will be ported too
100_3775.jpg

Welded the oil retun onto the pan
100_3776.jpg

Box of bits lol
100_3777.jpg

Doubt it makes much difference but heres the oil retun holes so i ported them n smoothed them off whilst the engines apart :)
100_3825.jpg

100_3826.jpg

This is the water pump hole which i ported too as there was chunks of metal everywhere lol
100_3828.jpg

I sanded the whole engine with a dremel n wire wheel to remove as much crap as poss... the a primer coat and wet sand, followed by 2 coats of hammerite, i`ll do another few tomoz :D

dats it for the day lol

Jack D time :rockon:
100_3830.jpg

100_3831.jpg

Dave.

Member +
Seems like you're working hard, should be a nice project :)

If you're going to be doing a lot of porting, just be careful where all the filings get, if you leave anybehind you could cause real damage I'm sure. Masking things off is a brilliant way to save cleaning up surfaces that will need it (the top of the block for example that has streaks of paint on it) :D

I've never done anything like you're doing though, but I'd watch the little stuff like that.

Best of luck with it all :D

Dave

Ooomoo

Member +
yeah cheers :) i plan to have a very lite skim just to make sure its totally flat so i wasnt to worried lol... i`ll hone it myself tho with the drill attachment :D
The pistons n rods are at my m8`s getting swop`d over, so 5e rods and 4e pistons as its just a basic build to see how i get on lol, a be fine for 250ish bhp with other mods i reckon :)

billybob

Untrusted Seller
not bad as said better to mask everything that needs to when paints looks good so far keep us up to date cheers:drive:

Ooomoo

Member +
will do peeps :)

tomoz im hoping to start porting the head and sand blasting all the parts ready for paint :D

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Looks good lad, even without boost the 5E upgrade just makes the car far nicer to drive and you get a slightly throatier exhaust note.

Ooomoo

Member +
Looks good lad, even without boost the 5E upgrade just makes the car far nicer to drive and you get a slightly throatier exhaust note.

i`ll deffo get that after the porting :D
i had a look through your 5e build, how you getting on with it bud?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
i`ll deffo get that after the porting :D
i had a look through your 5e build, how you getting on with it bud?

She's running well. I've developed the start of a crack on my exhaust mani but apart from that she's grand. I'm only running 1 bar on the TD05 hybrid which seems slow to me now but its still enuogh to loose traction in 3rd on wet roads, so I guess its not too bad.

New map going in hopefully in the coming week, then cams and metal HG in June after the next 1/4 mile event.

All in all, I'm really enjoying it and I hope u get the same from yours lad!

Ooomoo

Member +
lol yeah i hope so too :) really cant wait to build her up and fit it :drive:
think i need a new crank pulley tho as the timing marks on mine have broken off :S

Ooomoo

Member +
i did use the 4e pan lol, i got a spare from a m8 but he took the oil return pipe for his build and i had a pan from an engine that the rod snapped n put a huge hole in, so rather than use the pan of my engine i just used parts from the 2 knackerd ones to make 1 good one... another reason is im building this with a spare engine and parts from a glanza and gt i broke so i can still use mine until its ready to swop the engines over, then i`ll sell the 4e from mine :)

Ooomoo

Member +
Ported the upper inlet manifold today, was`nt that bad but every little helps lol, i`v still to finish it off but the basic shape and ruff castings all been removed, so just a bit of a finer sand and its done :)

100_3855.jpg

100_3853.jpg

An a before and after on my practice head lol

100_3858.jpg

100_3857.jpg

100_3861.jpg

100_3860.jpg

im going to remove the exhaust side valve guide but i need some differetn bits for the dremel :S

Ooomoo

Member +
a wee update...

I fully built up the whole engine on the stand today just to check everything fits ok and i have all the parts for the build :) sadly i forgot to take a pic lol..
Alls good and everythings there :p

Then spent a hour ripping it apart again and being anal by putting every nut, bolt and washer in little bags and tie`in it to the part, and here w e go :D

100_3897.jpg

There aint much to it!!
At the mo my flywheels are getting machines, the pistons are getting fitted to the 5e rods and my blocks going to get skimmed and honed sunday.. so hoping to have all the parts back on tuesday, then i`ll order the gasket kit and rebuild her on thursday :haha:
The 4E engine a be out my car on friday and i`ll fit the 5E on saturday.. never gunna happen but its worth a shot :eek:

VQ'ed

Member +
Mate, exactly what im going to do this weekend as i got a shebang deal on a 5e-fhe (275 can$/ 130euro). i plan to get it stripped this weekend, get the bolck to be planned and skimmed then take pictures before mounting everything (joke!!LoL)

best of luck with the built...