new desktop recommendations ??

dandydons

Member +
Can anyone give me some advice on specifications for new desktop ?

I am not quite complete illiterate in computers but could do with a simple 'will this system do what I wan't' kind of answer.

The spec I am looking at:

Processor Type Intel. Pentium Dual-Core E2220
Clock-Speed 2.4GHz
Front Side BUS 800MHz
Cache 0.512 MB
Operating-System Windows Vista. Home Premium
RAM Memory 2048 MB
Hard Disk Capacity 320 GB
Optical Drive 1 Dual Layer DVD Rewriter
802.11g Wireless Network Ready YES
Graphics Description NVIDIA. GeForce 7100
No of USB connections 6
No. of Firewire Connections 1

Will be used mainly for internet/ kids homework / storing loads of pics etc but am also wanting to be able to upload and then view video from my hard drive recorder and then burn to dvd's - also some movie downloading .

Anyone convince me or otherwise that this will do the job ?

Cheers

Kev

pig666eon

Member +
build your own

its very easy cheaper and will always be up to date

ebay has everything you will need and great deals

pig666eon

Member +
it is a good spec only things i would change is the ram 3-4 gb future proof and dont go for vista windows 7 is faster and a lot less problems than vista

dandydons

Member +
it is a good spec only things i would change is the ram 3-4 gb future proof and dont go for vista windows 7 is faster and a lot less problems than vista

Thanks for reply mate. Was thinking maybe the ram is a bit low cos its only £10 extra for like another 1k but problem is they don't have that one in stock whereas they do have the exact spec I put in post. Since it is a refurbed one I don't have a choice of os either - cost is £260. without monitor.

So would it be up to the job with the spec listed ?

scot-ish

Member +
seems quite expensive at that price refurbed, without a monitor, just my opinion tho, and as said, try gettin 3g of ram if you can,

That is too dear for a system of that spec refurbed to be honest with you. Also the cache on the processor is quite low at 0.5MB should be looking for at least 1MB cache or 2 if you can get it within your budget. Personally I would build your own as said above, even if you cant build it surely one of your mates would be handy with computers as they are piss easy to build.
If you are buying refurbed then dont worry too much about memory or hard drive these are easily & cheapily upgradable look for a decent processor and motherboard in the system then you can upgrade the rest over time.
Christy

djurny

Member +
if its only used for movie downloading and internet browsing (and occasionally video watching) i would look at the new acer revo systems or any of the other atom 330 + ion pcs they put on the market.. like the asrock 330-bd
its low-power, internet browse capable enough and the ion chipset will enable 1080p playback as well..
i think they start at something like €350, and they're tiny yoo :)

dandydons

Member +
Also the cache on the processor is quite low at 0.5MB should be looking for at least 1MB cache or 2 if you can get it within your budget.
Christy

Cheers for all replies.

What does the cache do ? As for price includes free delivery and 12 months warranty so I am still tempted but need to know if videos etc will be ok ?

dandydons

Member +
Also the cache on the processor is quite low at 0.5MB should be looking for at least 1MB cache or 2 if you can get it within your budget.

Got the original one I was after - back in stock today - same spec as above but with 1mb cache and 3gb ram - was £270. It is Hewlett packard
slimline one. New price seems to be about £380 ish. Will let you know what i think when it gets here.

Cheers for the help guys.

Got the original one I was after - back in stock today - same spec as above but with 1mb cache and 3gb ram - was £270. It is Hewlett packard
slimline one. New price seems to be about £380 ish. Will let you know what i think when it gets here.

Cheers for the help guys.

Nice one mate that sounds like a good price there now. The higher the cache the quicker and more efficent the processor. Yeah let me know how you get on with it. I would also recomend installing Avast Anti-Virus and Superantispyware as your security. You can get a free download of both from their website just google it.
Christy