new engine mounts, now have knocking sound

tersplat

Member +
As the title says, I know these mounts aren't What is usually seen on this forum, but I installed a set of Solid polyeurothane Energy suspension engine mounts(all 3) But since I've installed them I get a weird, LOUD knocking sound when I accelerate. If I accelerate from a stop or shift gears, or let the engine decelerate while still in gear, and then tap the gas, the weight transfers and I get a loud THUD. I have Checked and rechecked the bolts, and all are tight. The only thing I can figure is that it is something completely unrelated and just a coincidence, or maybe the passages through the new mounts where the long stud goes through are slightly larger than the stock ones causing a small amount of play. I've checked all my suspension components, and all seems tight, also had that checked by a tire shop. Any ideas on what the sound might be from, and how I can fix it without putting the stock mounts back in?

mork

Member +
Could it be the exhaust knocking? If the engine mounts are no longer absorbing energy then it could be transferring to the exhaust mounts, which are very soft.

weeJohn

Lifer
Put a jack under the brackets of the mounts and lift them to see if there is any play between the poly mounts and the bolts.

tersplat

Member +
Problem solved. the passenger side was modified when I put in in since these were originally meant for a tercel, or paseo(their "passage")is wider than the mounting bracket on the starlet will allow, so I pulled the bracket apart about 4mm and and there is a little play there, causing the knocking sound. Thanks guys.