New engine, or upgrade

SketS47

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this is a newbie question, but a friend said 'if your gonna spend that much money on an old car why not put a better/newer engine in it and do it right the first time'.

Is that even a possibility? Can I put a more 'powerfull and yet more economic new engine in this puppy? Or is it more adviseable to upgrade the parts in the engine?

Regards Albert

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this is a newbie question, but a friend said 'if your gonna spend that much money on an old car why not put a better/newer engine in it and do it right the first time'.

Is that even a possibility? Can I put a more 'powerfull and yet more economic new engine in this puppy? Or is it more adviseable to upgrade the parts in the engine?

Regards Albert

nothing wrong with the 4efte engine if treated properly.

your best off going forged 5e with a turbo upgrade (td04).

tune it and run it right and it will last

Jay

Admin
Engines are always improving in terms of performance, efficiency and refinement but for ease of use we normally stick to the 4EFTE. Shoehorning a 'better' engine into the bay and the associated drama of getting it all working right can be a nightmare unless you know what you are doing.

The common upgrade in terms of power would be to build and install a 5EFTE. If you do a search on here you'll see quite a few threads explaining the process.

Cheers,

Jay

Skalabala

Member +
The 4efte does not struggle to get 40mpg, and makes great power.
4efte is ahead of its time :) It is the ECU you want to change for something newer :)