Notching the block help!!!

GTnomez

Member +
Hi guys!

I founf out the hard way that my block needs to be notched. It was built but upon turning there was an obstruction so its need to be notched :(

I know its slightly grinding the block to give it clearence but what exactly needs to be done?

I would like to know where needs to be notched and by how much?

Is it till it clears or slightly more for when the rods heat up?

Is it in a location that would be of any danger (as in near oil/water ways etc)

Thanks

Ben89

Lifer
I'm not speaking from experience bit I know when I was chatting to a mate who notched his block he put his standerd con rod ontop of his h-beam one, he then measured the difference in width and depth and added 1mm onto it and marked it up and ground it out.
I would wait for one of the more experienced guys to confirm but that's how i was explained it, hope it helps mate.

GTnomez

Member +
Thanks Ben,

I see what you mean when measuring the difference between rods and taking it out the block.

Is there a certain amount i can go? or is it just simply grind till it clears?

repd

350ep70gr

Member +
just grind till it clears amd let 1mm additional on each side of the conrod.The disassemply everything make a good bath to the bottom and assemply it back. What ben said it sound very logical to me tho..

Chris

whiteglanzav

Member +
somthing like this at the bottom of each cylinder on each side

as you can see it doesnt have to be machined - just ground down enough to allow clearence.

just measure by eye and grind away - hope it helps

15072009124.jpg

GTnomez

Member +
Chris - I was waiting for you! :)

WhiteGlanz - Ive seen that pic in one of you other post when i did a search but thanks

So is it just as simple as just grinding till it clears and then grinding an extra 1mm all round?

Repd

durmz

Member +
if you need some extra pics or anything dub sevens garage thread has pics of him doing it, may be worth a check out :)

billybob

Untrusted Seller
Chris - I was waiting for you! :)

WhiteGlanz - Ive seen that pic in one of you other post when i did a search but thanks

So is it just as simple as just grinding till it clears and then grinding an extra 1mm all round?

Repd

yes round 2 or even 3 mm will do theres plenty of meat at that end of the block

whiteglanzav

Member +
yer as above - you don't actually have to take a whole lot off - you cant tell at the moment because you cant spin the crank just make sure they are wide enough aswell