Octane booster

ianmcintoshi

Member +
Hey, in July i will be driving across Europe in my glanza. Now, my car has been mapped on v-power and its the only thing that i fill up with and when on the continent there will probably be occasions when the only fuel available will be normal unleaded. I was thinking that i will take a load of octane booster for these occasions.

So my question is has anyone ever used octane booster? Which one is the best? Will my car run fine using it?

Any recommendations or advice will be greatly appreciated :)

AdamB

Member +
You will still be ok using lower octane aslong as you don't give it the boot.
There is many brands out there, just get the best one you can afford, try places like halfrauds and local motor factors :)

fordy

Fresh Recruit
Done the modball in our supra which was mapped on Optimax and we managed to get it over there fine. Just take some octane booster incase.

accent_97

Member +
i use this stuff find it good but to feel the differece normal i drop half liter with a tank

Image339.jpg

ianmcintoshi

Member +
Octane booster rarely lives up to it's expectations

Im not using it for performance gains or anything like that. Its just i will be doing a lot of miles in a short space of time and will also be doing the nurburgring, and would just like to help prevent det in any way. Would much rather be safe than sorry.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
I meant in the fact that they don't raise the octane levels much. Lots of miles doesn't induce det.

Nickzorz

Member +
fifth gear did an interesting test on these octane boosters.

My old scooby was mapped on shell v but it would run fine on regular stuff unless you put your foot down.

Alternativley if you got a bit of wedge lurking about you could get a second ecu and map in on normal stuff :p

ianmcintoshi

Member +
fifth gear did an interesting test on these octane boosters.

My old scooby was mapped on shell v but it would run fine on regular stuff unless you put your foot down.

Alternativley if you got a bit of wedge lurking about you could get a second ecu and map in on normal stuff :p

Its an option i suppose lol

Would prefer not too tho.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Well the whole market is pretty much unregulated as to the claims they make. For instance, if it claims to raise octane by 5 points it can be either 5 or 0.5.

Nickzorz

Member +
The way i see it in my mind (its probably complete nonesense in my brain) is our cars are designed to run on petrol and only petrol which is nice and flammable and explosive etc. So why add in something that isnt petrol?

I would love to know the rates of combustion of some of these additives and how easy they are to compress just to set my mind at ease.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Surely you will find some decent fuel on the continent.... Shell is a Dutch company... In Germany you will be able to buy over 100 octane....

TurboDave

Member +
The way i see it in my mind (its probably complete nonesense in my brain) is our cars are designed to run on petrol and only petrol which is nice and flammable and explosive etc. So why add in something that isnt petrol?

I would love to know the rates of combustion of some of these additives and how easy they are to compress just to set my mind at ease.

Higher octane = more resistance to detonation, Jap ECU's are mapped to generally run on Jap fuel which is around 100ron, if we run 95 ron and use the timing maps which are in the ECU for 100ron we run the risk of getting some det, although the standard knock sensor should be able react and pull some timing out to make it safe again, the result is less power due to the fact that less timing advance can safely be used. Therefore the octane booster is there to make the timing levels safer when using a lower octane fuel, putting octane booster in a car designed to run on say 95 octane should have very little or no improvement on performance.