Oil leak

5p1ff

Member +
Hey guys ,

I got an oil leak i cant make out where from. My alternator is covered in oil and well mainly around that right side. I also hear a loose light metally noise when i accelerate coming from the alternator area.

help

Sigma

Member +
The easiest way to detect where an oil leak is coming from, is to start with a clean slate.

Buy some engine degreaser/muc off, and clean all of the oil off which has leaked.

Then, run the engine, whilst looking at the area, with a torch, so it's well illuminated and you should be able to see the oil seeping out.

The only seals which would cause oil on the alternator, are the cam cover & back of the head gasket.

dac69er

Super Moderator
the dipstick seal could cause that too if its leaking bad enough. could also just be oil that has been spilt whilst topping up.

5p1ff

Member +
thanx for the info guys , Ok it defo aint oild from top up but will look into cam cover and dipstick area

Neal Gt

Member +
The easiest way to detect where an oil leak is coming from, is to start with a clean slate.

Buy some engine degreaser/muc off, and clean all of the oil off which has leaked.

Then, run the engine, whilst looking at the area, with a torch, so it's well illuminated and you should be able to see the oil seeping out.

The only seals which would cause oil on the alternator, are the cam cover & back of the head gasket.

X2 well said, that's what I would do, make so u get it really clean and dry cause u don't want abit of dampnes coming bk cause didn't try it all of it and then u think it's that when it's not, if ya get what I mean,

also if u want to get more in to it, there's special die that u can buy to put into ur engine which mixs with the oil, then u use a U.V light and u can then see the die and tell where it's coming from,
like the others say the main arers r, bk of block that side, front main oil seal(behind the bottom timing belt cover) and dipstick tube seal,

weeJohn

Lifer
Its more than likely your crankshaft oil seal. The oil could be getting onto the back of the auxillary pulley and getting thrown onto the alt.