oil on turbo cold (charge) side

dark_knight

Member +
hi all, not worried out of my wits (yet!) but just wanted to throw this bone out to you..
i recently had a night drive (nice cold air and open road) and was boosting to my preset of .8bar for a while - long stretch of road. got back home and just parked - let the timer take care of engine cool-down. next morning, popped the hood to do my routine fluid checks etc when i noticed that my stock BoV (which i have venting to the atmosphere) had been spraying some tiny amount of oil onto where the relief charge exits. it was very dark oil, darker than what i see when i pull out my dipstick.

this leads me to some possible conclusions:
#1: that there is possibly still some old oil left in the stock BoV since it was plumbed in stock position when i got the car and the breather pipe was spewing black oil into it..? on 2nd thoughts.. this is unlikely since the relief pipe on the stock BoV is chambered to separate the charge relief air and the crankcase relief air.

#2: i am indeed leaking my turbo seals and so at higher revs, the oil pressure makes some oil seep past and get spooled up the charge side. so my question is, is it possible to only break one seal (the compressor side) while the exhaust side is ok, under the same conditions..? :confused:

omikron

Member +
i have an aftermarket bov VTA and the breather hose is hanging in the same general vicinity as the bov so i have the same two possibilities

Last edited:

Skalabala

Member +
Sounds normal to me, there should be a tiny bit of oil in the air system to lube the DV.
A car uses oil. But just keep an eye on your oil consumption.
There is always oil residue in the boost pipes that is dirty, so now you just drove the car a bit hard and some of it come out that is all.

dark_knight

Member +
sounds like a reasonable explanation.. :)
i'm a cautious man so i always like to compare my motors' behavior with the rest of the community just to be sure that something's not going awfully wrong and i'm sitting on my hands.. :)

fyi, it has hence ceased spewing oil from the dv and now it's just the actuator vent pipe that still coughs out a bit every now and then.. i'm guessing it's the same scenario playing out..