Oil query

Danza V :D

Member +
Hey guys, Ive had my glanza for over a year now and i do know there are common cases of oil leaks but mine has a bit of mistyness around the crank pully i suspect the usual glanza faults.. but its never shown on the dipstick even after a year of driving it everyday.. I will clean and inspect when im next at a pressure washer though. is mistyness a big issue.?

H_D

Member +
I wouldnt be to worried as long as its not loosing any oil...its common for crank seals to go on EPs it could also be the cam seal behind the timing belt cover.
I wouldnt be concerned about slight mistyness as long as its not wet

Member +
Its not losing oil it uses the normal ammount of oil every service e.g 10,000 miles id use say 1/4 of the full ammount of oil.. with regar to replacing the seals can you just remove the pulley and the black cover and just pop them out? or do you have to remove it compleletly and knock it out from behind???

dac69er

Super Moderator
a stock 4efe maybe, but as the oil goes through the turbo and is subjected to alot more heat and abuse it will degrade quicker than on a normal car. plus most people will drive these cars harder or mod them to some degree at least.

standard interval is actually 3000k i think, but i base it on the fact that oils are of a better quality than 20 years ago so i reckon 5000k imo.

Member +
Fair point, mines fairly standard engine wise, standard tubby just the usual exhaust etc. i spose it depends on your mods as you said. What oils do you use? I use the usual 10w40

dac69er

Super Moderator
10w-40 or 5w-30. if you track your car or it is more highly tuned then a different oil could be used. for most people those are the best grades to stick with.

Skalabala

Member +
You must hate your car prity damn much if you drive it 10000 miles on the same oil. Do you even clean your engine regularly?
Or do you not care about maintaining your car? Sorry but its not acceptable to run your pride and joy on degraded oil!
Replace the seal even if it swets or sell the car to someone that will take good care of it!

Member +
I think that's far far too harsh pal! Don't judge me ok. I am gaining advice about my car and I'd appreciated it ur you helped, that's the point of a forum right? I care about my car yes. Just going by what I've heard and seen... Just I know some Toyota go to 10k every service but clearly I'm wrong. Suggest you think about what you write.

H_D

Member +
I think that's far far too harsh pal! Don't judge me ok. I am gaining advice about my car and I'd appreciated it ur you helped, that's the point of a forum right? I care about my car yes. Just going by what I've heard and seen... Just I know some Toyota go to 10k every service but clearly I'm wrong. Suggest you think about what you write.

Well said! You come here for advice not an ear bashing dont let 1 person deter you from this forum its full of great people who are happy to help fellow members!

toyota in japan wanted oil to be changed every 5000KM and 10000KM for the oil filter, they want it that soon for a reason imo its the life of it 10000 MILES is bollox just my opinion mate

like i said in my first post mate, i just added to it in my second post. toyota wanted the oil to be changed every 5000km thats about 4000miles give or take! so 10000miles is 6000miles over due a service? the oil will break down to shit and go like tar = a very black engine inside with little protection to bearings, seals and rings! im just a believer in regular oil changes in engines of any sort not just starlets :) all these new cars with longer service internals aswell is mad imo

dac69er

Super Moderator
like i said in my first post mate, i just added to it in my second post. toyota wanted the oil to be changed every 5000km thats about 4000miles give or take! so 10000miles is 6000miles over due a service? the oil will break down to shit and go like tar = a very black engine inside with little protection to bearings, seals and rings! im just a believer in regular oil changes in engines of any sort not just starlets :) all these new cars with longer service internals aswell is mad imo

but remember, technology moves on. not just the cars engines, but the oil as well. the oil you can buy nowadays is going to be better quality than the oil of 20 or so years ago.

i think for the large majority of people aiming for an oil and filter change every 5000 miles is perfectly fine.