Oil Warning light Dead

FeNder

Member +
heya everyone ,

ive recently finished a rebuild n the engines back in , the oil warning light however wont come on , and im very reluctant to drive it / run it in ,
the wire is connected to the switch on the front of the block on place ,
the bulb in the dash is working , earthing the wire didnt ligh the switch ,
so sensor isnt dead yes ?
where should i look ?

cheers

FeNder

Member +
or would it be easier to connect a wire from the oil sensor on the block to the dash light directly ?

FeNder

Member +
well it was working perfectly before the rebuild , and earthing the wire would differentiate whether its a dead sensor or wire break no

dac69er

Super Moderator
could be broken wire. also, could be a dirty connector???

i would also check the connector plugs on the back of the instrument cluster. if its been removed at any point during the rebuild one may have popped out slightly so not connected.

failing that you must have a broken wire mate :(

Last edited:

FeNder

Member +
ill be checking the plugs again , wouldnt it be better running a wire from the dash plug to the sensor directly , avoiding looking for a broken wire in all that cramped space ?!

dac69er

Super Moderator
ill be checking the plugs again , wouldnt it be better running a wire from the dash plug to the sensor directly , avoiding looking for a broken wire in all that cramped space ?!

worth a quick look as may be obvious where a break is. otherwise, yes, running a new wire would be the easiest option

FeNder

Member +
well ill do that then , hope its not a dead sensor , had enough already with the car off the road for a good 4 months .

EvilKnievel

Member +
check all the silly things first, like loose wires or dirty connectors or fuses etc. Sometimes frustrating and then it a simple thing.

fastglanza

Member +
not really electrical minded, but isnt there any way to sort this using a multi-metre? Like continuty(sp.?) for a broken wire and a voltage or lack of voltage reading (or resistance?) to check if the sensor is indeed dead?

cant remem if that sensor has plactic connector since nearly all the starlets i see have the bare metal spade just sliding on..Point is if it does have a connector any chance of it being connected to a wrong wire?

finx

Member +
i have had the same problem in the past.

i went about it in the following order.

check all connections are free of dirt and properly connected,
then removed the dsh cluster and check the bulb for continuity
then checked there was power to the oil press light circuit before the bulb
then check continuity between the earth side of the light circuit to the end of the sensor wire

if all of the above check ok then its your sensor. mine turned out to be a sensor issue, so i replaced it.

they are fairly sensitive and just being dropped or knocked once can cause them to stuff out.

+1 for being concerned about it not working on a fresh engine. i never proceed to start an engine unless the oil press light is working. especially on a rebuilt engine as you are required to rev then for about 20min on 1st start up so the rings dont glaze over etc etc. damage that could be caused in that time due to no or low oil pressure would be catastrophic.

cheers
ryan

Last edited:

FeNder

Member +
Alright ppl was indeed a dodgy wire , direct wiring from the dash fixed things up ,
how would i go on about attaching an oil pressure sender to where the stock oil sensor sits ?

finx

Member +
tidier way of doing it would be leave the stock sender alone and where it is then putting a sandwich late between the relocator and oil filter, and putting the sender for aftermarket gauge off that.

good to hear you got it sussed man! :)