Old mini's ?

PelvisGt

Member +
Basically I've been looking at buying one as I've always wanted one from a small age. I basically want to know is it easy to replace an auto gearbox with a manual and are they reliable cars?

Thanks for any info

lingl9z

Member +
I had a mini along time ago was great, only thing that failed was an engine mount, the neighbours had one for about 5years and he's never had a problem other than the brakes failing once (leak in hose) good fun little cars! =]

dac69er

Super Moderator
easy to work on and bits are cheap and easy to get hold of. plus plenty of online forums and info on them.

i would say go for it before they get to the point where they are too rusty and knackered to be worth bothering with!

Ben89

Lifer
i bought my mini when i was 14 they are awesome cars, changing to manual might be a little more effort than its worth, what engine is it?
if its still a 998 it may be worth just dropping a hole 1275 running gear in there tbh,

mini.jpg

heres my old mini really miss her regret selling her and i will do for a very long time, its only a matter of time until i buy another !!
good luck any questions Pm buddy

markp

Member +
got one forsale at the moment , needs engine mount replaced as someone said very common problem , pm me if in terested its covered 53,000 miles from new its british racing green.

Ted

Member +
hydrogas suspension, rusty rear subframes, never start in the morning, rusty front wings, rusty sills, people laughing at you. my family had loads of these horrible little rust buckets and many a night i held the torch while my dad tried to fix them. hope youre an enthusiast!!!

STARLET N/A

Member +
mini.jpg

My little bro used to walk pass this everyday on the way to stopsley high

Looked very clean

was it tuned engine wise, h he remembers it having a exhaust and funny shaped steering wheel lol

Vboi!

Fresh Recruit
great little cars had some of the greatest times in the 2 i had but they fall apart quite often and rust like crazy. even though the parts are cheap they brake or fall off so often it ends up costing you a bloody fortune lol. after all that though id still have another one in a heart beat :haha:

you just cant beat one for fun

PelvisGt

Member +
Its got a 1.275 engine in it but auto its just looks like fun. It would only be used every so often like to get some shopping (I know it will only fit a can of baked beans lol)

I just always liked them and have heard people say there cheap to get parts.

Do garages like working on them or are they hated?

Reason i ask is the garage that sorted out my GT hated it because they couldnt get parts for it. Probally because they couldnt be bothered lol

Just fell in love with my friends house mates. Just is a laugh even though its not fast :kiss: lol

dac69er

Super Moderator
if a garage couldnt get parts for a GT then they arent trying very hard. half the parts off uk starlets fit. its only certain parts that are a bit of a pain to get, but you just go genuine if you cant get them aftermarket.

as for a mini im sure it will be like any other car. parts will be easy for them to get and they will be easy to work on. just the parts that are rusty might be a bitch but thats uk cars for you :(

Shorty

Member +
easy to get parts for but tbh mate if you arnt much of a home mechanic i wouldnt buy one. iv had 4 and as Ted said mate they rust and will cost a bomb in garage bills at least you only pay for parts (wich are cheap) if you do it yourself, had a rover cooper mpi sports pack, a clubman gt, a 998 racing green and a race tuned 1330cc mini (wich pissed on any car upto around 80mph!!) but they just swallow mony. any classic is not a car for anyone who expects reliability mate, my uncles mg b roadster just had a 13k rebuild due to rust. beware :) and do a lot of research so you dont buy a complete bucket.

PelvisGt

Member +
Yeah thats cool, im not a mechanic or very mechanically minded either lol, I have friends who help me out but there not always around so yeh I might have to re think my ideas lol

Im after something small thats got character, metro? lol

Shorty

Member +
god no!!! metro is worse lol. mini will be ok if your willing to learn mate. i loved mine but just do you research and make sure you now what to look out for :)

Boab

Member +
I got a scrapper of a mini when I was 13. Me and my dad totally rebuilt it. 1275 mg engine, superlights, spotlights, rollcage, etc.

Here's a few pics;

mini1.JPG

mini2.JPG

mini3.JPG