Ordering a icv

Danza V :D

Member +
Hey I'm ordering a icv cause I was at witts end with it now. I've had lots of good advice off all you guys on here but I final clarification before I go out and spend £95 quid on a new one. Nh car idles at 2000rpm and jumps like MAD and will not stop its just up and down in park constantly.. And when driving il be driving at normal speed let off the throttle and it will jump like crazy and make the whole car rock... I've cleaned it with no success although the copper spring like thing was snapped at one corner.. :/ I've unplugged if whilst engine us running and still no difference.. Cheers guys I know I'm s forum virus lol

AdamB

Member +
I'm sure theres two pins you can bridge and it will set the idle, then you adjust via the screw to this setting. If bridge the two pins, does it still hunt? I would be checking for any vac leaks. I can't remember what the two pins are but I'm sure someone will know.

Member +
It only started this after my filter relocation but I've been there are checked everything over and over :). Yeah if anyone knows where these pins are. Does a faulty icv cause the idle to increase cause I thought it would lower the idle?

Texx

Super Moderator
You've got an inlet manifold air leak somewhere. Find the air leak and you'll solve your problem, I'd highly doubt that the IACV is the cause.

To rule out the IACV, pull the hose off that attaches to the valve, block the end of the hose and also the port on the valve. If the problem still persists then the IACV isn't your problem.

Member +
Do where the hose attaches to block that off and the pipe yeah? I unplugged the whole thing and it didn't change... Where else could j look around the inlet? Other than the inlet manifold gasket? Thing us it's intermittent which would suggest to me it ain't the gasket but possibly a blocked pipe or similar??

Member +
Did shaf you said, it's stopped jumping now and doesn't feel as erratic .. Is it ok to drive it like that until I get one... It seems pointless ( although it ain't ) to have a icv if u can use it without it... Do autos idle higher?

AdamB

Member +
From what i've seen the Auto's do idle a little higher. They can be run without the IAC valve no problems, which is why all aftermarket inlet manifolds don't have the port for them :)

Member +
Fantastic, this has been crazing me for months!! Cheers for clarification Adam :) why is there no need did them then? Saves £95 lol!!

AdamB

Member +
I believe theres no need because the idle is set by the adjusting screw on the top of the manifold.

Member +
Hey it doesn't jump anymore does it sometimes when dropping down a gear ( auto ) but idles still high I've checked all hoses but it's intermittent like other day it was idling great after doing the above but now it's started to idly high. Also worse when on a hill e.g my drive is a hill and when facing down if wil jump a couple of times.. Also today early hours with mg heater, tear heated screen and hazards it was rising to 2k then going down to 1500k after a short drive?? I'm begging to think a sticky body or tps...

AdamB

Member +
You won't need to bleed the system mate, check camskill for the sensor i'm sure I see one on their before.

AdamB

Member +
Not off the top of my head mate, im sure its been covered before though. You'll also have to make sure the connection is the same. Camskill do 2 I believe as they differ between early and late model starlets.

wildchild

Member +
buy the correct one coz various temp sensors of different models open at different heat levels as ive heard/ go for the oem part or a matching part number.

A L 3 X

Member +
I'm sure theres two pins you can bridge and it will set the idle, then you adjust via the screw to this setting. If bridge the two pins, does it still hunt? I would be checking for any vac leaks. I can't remember what the two pins are but I'm sure someone will know.

I adjusted my idle just with the screw, are you meant to bridge two pins first? :/

AdamB

Member +
Think its supposed to be in diagnostic mode first but dont quote me on that, im sure i've read it somewhere before. Although not sure if it makes any difference at all tbh.

Member +
Right guys it didnt do it for a while.. but its started to do it again.. ive got a feeling that its fueling, o2 sensor because i have a very small exhaust leak and i think its making the Senor send more fuel.. but im sooooo confused becuase it does it intermitently ad some days it will be fine,... Even worse in this cold wether!!