over heating problems after rebuild

bilcx

Fresh Recruit
i have a problem just had a full reblid and its started over heating ??????????? mods are hybrid turbo japspeed manafold full exhaust system evo injectors manual boost controller new headgasket head bolts waterpump oil and water are nt mixing i did 500 miles with nt a problem when on stock boost now had it set up to 1.5 bar so i dnt know what it is i need help ive tuck thornast out today looked for water leaks and looked to see if theres any blocks everythin seems ok on tick over its fine heaters are warm its still over heating when am drivein heaters are cold but if rpm is above 3000 the heaters are hot and temp drops really fast and when i hit boost temps goes up makes no sence ???????? help me plz

weeJohn

Lifer
Drop the boost to a bar and see if it still does it, it could be the headgasket passing at that boost. What was done at the rebuild? What compression ratio is the engine, what headgasget and head bolts were used, was the head and block skimmed?

bilcx

Fresh Recruit
its bk top stock boost and still doin it ???? headgasket is stock and so are head bolts ????? hears are warm on tick over just cold when drivein but if say am ion 2nd gear at 3000 rmp the hearters are warm and when i hit boost temp rises ??? it had pistons. rings. heads all done full headgasket kit water pump head bolts cambelt kit when at 3000 rmp heaters are warm on tick over warm to but when am drivein thay go warm for 2 secs then cold for like 10 secs then warm agen oil and water arnt mixing

Texx

Super Moderator
Clearly there is air in the cooling system.

Does the expansion tank overflow?

Why was the engine rebuilt?

weeJohn

Lifer
You have probably done the headgasket in at 1.5 bar, the stock stuff wont take that much, including the engine internals. Can I ask what you are doing for fueling/engine management?

bilcx

Fresh Recruit
theres no air in that its bleeds it self anyways with the over flow :) it popped two pistons when i got it but i saved it and now opppps lol i dnt know what managent but its bk to stock now i know its had a hybrid dnt know what could be a stock ct19 hybird or a tdo4 am nt 100% if head was gone it would smoke or mix with water ??? i tuck thormast out still doin it so should i just leave the water cap off till it bleeds it self and over flows so there no air in there ???????

Texx

Super Moderator
The heater is getting cold because there is air in the cooling system. Most likely the headgasket is leaking combustion gas into the cooling system.

If it's overheating without a stat in it, either you've got a faulty water pump or the headgasket is leaking.

bilcx

Fresh Recruit
kk cheers ill get a new gasket lad :) cn i run 1.5 bar on steel head gasket ?? i mint put new water pump agen is well ill do pump frist tho cheers guys ill let u know what happens its just silly how its warm then cold and on tick over its nt losein water ????? its abit of a head ake lol whats the max boost i cn run on stock rods and pistons ????? cheers

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
No point in just changing the gasket, chances are the same thing will happen again. You need to identify why the gasket is leaking to begin with.

Was the head skimmed?
Was the block skimmed or at the very least the face checked for runout?
Did you use new head bolts? Were they torqued correctly?
Were both the head and block perfectly clean before installing the head?

If the answer is yes to all of the above then it may just be the 1.5bar boost that has popped the gasket.

bilcx

Fresh Recruit
head wasnt skimmed as its was all gd i cleaned it all ok block and head i would say the head bolts are turqued right i go to a m8 of mine since i was 17 am nw 23 so i trust him but sayin that ur never 100% hmmmmm once ive tuch head off i mite see that the heads gone from boost he said to me when i rang him that heads gone to much boost on stock gasket

weeJohn

Lifer
Yep, you ran to much boost for a stock set up. With a good map on external engine management you can push 1.2 bar on standard internals, sounds like you have a FCD fitted and not much else. If you have only done the head gasket in you have been lucky, you may well have cracked a few piston ring lands along with it. A compression test is your first stop, reading about what boost a stock engine can take is your second, the bank is your third unfortunately.

bilcx

Fresh Recruit
yeh just had alook heads gone hahahahah wat a beast tho just gave it some round block pulls like a train carnt wait to get it sorted ill get a steel one init where cn i take it to for a map then ?? and how much ?????? cheers

bilcx

Fresh Recruit
my freinds just blow is renualt 5 turbo head same thing i think haha its great havein a hobby for cars its just a expensive one ha ha

AdamB

Member +
You can't map a stock ecu, you need an aftermarket unit such as a greddy emanage or a standalone system where the choices are endless and it depends on how deep your pockets go.

bilcx

Fresh Recruit
are the ecus just plug and play ??? head almost off had 2 hours onit today do should be bk on road thursday :)

AdamB

Member +
You can get some plug and play ecu's like blitz access, jam etc, but its always best to have a programme to suit your specific setup and car, as every car will react differently.