Oversized valves

H_D

Member +
Better to get some modified supra valves in there if your thinking of over-sizing.
Not really worth it imo unless if your building a dedicated drag car.

Johnny_C

Lifer
Better to get some modified supra valves in there if your thinking of over-sizing.
Not really worth it imo unless if your building a dedicated drag car.

Any reason why modified supra ones would be any more beneficial over these??
Thanks

bongskag

Member +
there's loads to do on the cylinder head. it can become more expensive than forging it all depends how far you want to go! , upgrade the valve springs and retainers . and use solid lifters instead of the Shims , oh and dont forget porting . and then cams... . . . etc..
not sure what order it would go in ! I'd go for a bit of porting first as its free .. then probably springs and retainers. and do the lifters too whilst im there.. then it should be good for 8k rpm , Then the expensive parts would be cams and bigger valves.. ( or could use modified supra valves or similar ?)
I guess the limit is your funds ;) as always with cars !

Johnny_C

Lifer
there's loads to do on the cylinder head. it can become more expensive than forging it all depends how far you want to go! , upgrade the valve springs and retainers . and use solid lifters instead of the Shims , oh and dont forget porting . and then cams... . . . etc..
not sure what order it would go in ! I'd go for a bit of porting first as its free .. then probably springs and retainers. and do the lifters too whilst im there.. then it should be good for 8k rpm , Then the expensive parts would be cams and bigger valves.. ( or could use modified supra valves or similar ?)
I guess the limit is your funds ;) as always with cars !
Cheers fella,im well aware that i need more than just the valves and what work is involved,lol!
I have uprated cams,and ive been considering this to get the best from them.
So basically just looking feedback on anyone who has bought the above valves,or even some info on who has gone with oversized valves and the advantages they found with them.
Thanks

bongskag

Member +
uprated cams, and the rest is standard? springs / shims etc ? , your cams could be anything as you haven't stated.. 5efhe cams wouldn't gain much over 7k rpm where as some really lumpy cams would have a power-band from 3500rpm -8500rpm .. ( hence the required higher revs )

what cams are they ?

Johnny_C

Lifer
uprated cams, and the rest is standard? springs / shims etc ? , your cams could be anything as you haven't stated.. 5efhe cams wouldn't gain much over 7k rpm where as some really lumpy cams would have a power-band from 3500rpm -8500rpm .. ( hence the required higher revs )

what cams are they ?

Sorry I should have said,they are tighe 272 cams,I've yet to buy uprated valves springs etc as I still need to research what would be best for the tighes,tighe do there own valve springs though.
Just trying to justify if the larger valves would be a worth the money and hassle.
Thanks

bongskag

Member +
ah , I see .. yeh its worth weighing up the cost vs. gain ;) Its something people should do more often !

found this on the Tighe website . "Larger valves not recommended."

264º - 272

Advertised Duration.

210º - 225º

0.050" Duration.

This range is designed more for the midrange, smooth cruise and slightly lopy idle. Still suitable for automatic transmission using standard stall converter. Modified Distributor and exhaust system recommended. Good for towing in larger capacity engines.
Higher compression ratio not required, Larger valves not recommended.
Typical lobe separation 108º - 112º.

Power Range:

Small Capacity

2000 - 5800 R.P.M.

Large Capacity

1500 - 5000 R.P.M.

I know they don't advertise the 4e cams for some reason. did you buy them direct from tighe ?

Johnny_C

Lifer
ah , I see .. yeh its worth weighing up the cost vs. gain ;) Its something people should do more often !

found this on the Tighe website . "Larger valves not recommended."

264º - 272

Advertised Duration.

210º - 225º

0.050" Duration.

This range is designed more for the midrange, smooth cruise and slightly lopy idle. Still suitable for automatic transmission using standard stall converter. Modified Distributor and exhaust system recommended. Good for towing in larger capacity engines.
Higher compression ratio not required, Larger valves not recommended.
Typical lobe separation 108º - 112º.

Power Range:

Small Capacity

2000 - 5800 R.P.M.

Large Capacity

1500 - 5000 R.P.M.

I know they don't advertise the 4e cams for some reason. did you buy them direct from tighe ?
Thanks for that.
Yeah bought direct from tighe.
I wasn't planning to go as extreme when I bought the cams,but things just seem to snowball onwards at times,lol!
I guess for the money spent of larger valves,I could port and polish,3 angle cut,and uprate the springs,retainers/shims/buckets.
Cruise kit could be ideal.
Then there's nos...

Johnny_C

Lifer
so, do you have them in yet ? they should sound awesome !
I dont unfortunatly,as the car is at home in ireland,and the cams are here with me in Australia,lol!
They may not be going into the current engine,so thats why im looking into this.

Skalabala

Member +
Looking at the combustion chamber of a 4E. The shrouding is bad! You can end up making less power if you use bigger valves.
Use stock valves, enlarge the throat and do valve angle job. My opinion :)