Painting bootlid

sdutton007

Member +
Hi guys,

I have a bootlid that I want to spray. I am relatively new to spraying but am now at a point that I would like to try spraying a bootlid I have customized.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how to spray underneath the boot seal (to get a good finish and to help stop it peeling). Obviously, I could pay like £80 to have the window taken out and put back in but one of my friends said something about 'pinning' the boot seal back...

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Jay

Admin
Given the way they like to rust along the lower edge I'd say just get the window removed before spraying in case it needs attention. It will make a lot better job of things in the long run.

Remember to factor in a fresh seal for around the rear screen, nothing worse than a tatty seal to let the fresh paint job down!

Jay

dac69er

Super Moderator
if its a dark colour then you can do what painters call a 'hard mask' where they leave the seal/trim in place, mask it and paint right up to it. if you use decent masking tape then it should work pretty well with limited overlap of paint onto the rubber/trim.

this is not an ideal method, but it is the cheapest and easiest.

sdutton007

Member +
Given the way they like to rust along the lower edge I'd say just get the window removed before spraying in case it needs attention. It will make a lot better job of things in the long run.

Remember to factor in a fresh seal for around the rear screen, nothing worse than a tatty seal to let the fresh paint job down!

Jay

Yeah this is what I was trying to avoid since that involves paying at least another £80 and two trips to Autoglass (or wherever) :(

if its a dark colour then you can do what painters call a 'hard mask' where they leave the seal/trim in place, mask it and paint right up to it. if you use decent masking tape then it should work pretty well with limited overlap of paint onto the rubber/trim.

this is not an ideal method, but it is the cheapest and easiest.

One of my mates did this and the paint started peeling where it met the seal since you can't really 'prep' that area...

sdutton007

Member +
I've just had a thought.... what if I rip out the outer boot seal and then mask off the window - could I then get a new boot seal fitted?

dac69er

Super Moderator
One of my mates did this and the paint started peeling where it met the seal since you can't really 'prep' that area...

if done properly its ok. 2 of my cars have been done like this and havnt peeled. one was done really badly too!!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
I've just had a thought.... what if I rip out the outer boot seal and then mask off the window - could I then get a new boot seal fitted?

you might be lucky. thats what the painter did when i got my roof done. he took out the seal from the windscreen and then refitted it afterwards.

depends if its been bonded in there with the window. once you start trying to move a seal that has been there for 20 years there will be no going back!!!!