pistion choice?

who makes the best pistions ive seen wisco ,ross,and je pistion kits wisco sticks out cause its a known brand two me anyone got anything bad to say about wisco ? its 600 all in rods and all that to seems good?

Jeffers_21

Member +
i got some wiseco lower comp pistons and they seam pretty good, nothing bad to say about them yet. although if ya check out the other forum some people have had bad reports about them.

when i was looking to buy my rod's and pistons the cheapest i could find over in the uk was £600 for the wiseco and egal roads, but after hours of searching i found someone in america that was selling the wiseco lower comp pistons and pauter rod's for £510 (and delivery was very fast aswell)

so it's worth looking around. ill dig out the name of the company i got them from

Jeffers_21

Member +
http://alamoautosports.com/

thats the place. i saw them on ebay selling some s15 wiseco pistons and pauter rod's, so i sent them an email.

the guy was pretty nice and was willing for a little bargining. i think the pistons worked out about £500 then i managed to get him down on the shipping. which was £10 in the end.

dantheman

Member +
im running wiseco's after using ross pistons and one thing i noticed is the skirts are a couple mm thicker than the ross, and they are lower comp aswell. ross are known for being pretty noisy on cold starts aswell.

FeNder

Member +
indeed kinda noisy , ive got them in here , ive heard plenty of great reviews about JE in many turbo magazines !

speedvision

Member +
hmmm..how come my ross arent noisey?

there ross are noisy becuz they bore the block a little too much leaving too much space so it will rattle......u have to do a close bore with regards to piston size to have no noise.....

all forged pistons usually make rattle on cold engine expanding when hot thats why they can take so much pressure when driving.....

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
as sam said forge pistons have to have bigger clearance's when cold because they expand more than normal pistons when hot, and forge engines are normally quiet until you start running high boost on them then they can become more noisey but still work fine its just the way they work, just remember never boot the car when its cold.

Also if choosing pistons my fav brand has to be CP pistons, the quality of them in my brothers Celica GT4 is awesome, hard to find for the 4E engine tho i think.

Pauter rods also would make a great combo with the CP pistons :gt-smilie:

ragz

Member +
compared stock pistons with ross pistons and the ross ones are bout 1mm smaller maybe more
when i put the ross piston in the cylinder i could c the piston ring quite abit is that right

goldenvtr

Member +
compared stock pistons with ross pistons and the ross ones are bout 1mm smaller maybe more
when i put the ross piston in the cylinder i could c the piston ring quite abit is that right
That would depend on the bore i suppose did you get it rebored?

dantheman

Member +
the ross pistons in my old engine rattled so much they cracked up the skirts. (this was bored out to the tolerance ross specify) heard the same thing about je pistons aswell.. and these are the more expensive pistons available.

A

Animal GT

wel my engine got rebored to suit the new ross 74.5,and i hope mines ok,am collectin it tomara..so wat should i be expecting?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
I think the clearances given with the Ross pistons can confuse some as they list the clearance for using nitrous oxide next to the normal clearance, if some are experiencing excessive rattle then the only thing I can think of is that they've taken into account the clearance for oxide... Apart from that I've tried JE and Ross with no abnormal problems thus far...

T

dantheman

Member +
yeah ross suggest different tolerances for high boost etc.

i highly rate accralite pistons as ive used them in the past without any probs, havent seen any for 4e yet though