Possible to change big end and main shells in car?

Jamie1st

Fresh Recruit
Got to change some main and big end shells, after Ive just rebuilt the car back together and put the engine back in/turbo kit on etc

Really dont want to have to get it all back out to change them, is it possible to get the crank out without removing the engine?

Cheers

Rob H

Member +
you carnt get the crank out with the engine in the car unless you remove the gear box, you can change the big ends with the engine in and gear box but I am not sure about the mains we change them on trucks and stuff with the engine and box still in but not sure about it on the starlet.

Marcmoss

Fresh Recruit
Got to change some main and big end shells, after Ive just rebuilt the car back together and put the engine back in/turbo kit on etc

Really dont want to have to get it all back out to change them, is it possible to get the crank out without removing the engine?

Cheers
U can get the pistons an rods out with the engine and box in dude I would post a picture up but I'm noway near my house at the moment, it's not to difficult either

Jamie1st

Fresh Recruit
Yeah Ive started taking the box out to allow me to get the crank out. Big ends are no problem, but going to have to remove the crank to do the mains.

Just really cant be arsed to plumb all the engine in again, gearbox is no problem as theres not much to it.

Keep the info comming guys,

Cheers!

weeJohn

Lifer
You can change the mains with the engine in, but unless you know its just shells needed and there is not any damage to the crank then its not worth wuile.

You need to remove the sump, then the 5 mains bearing caps. Using something plastic that wont mark the journals, push the old shell out from 1 edge of the journal until its at least a quarter of the way round. Then use your fingers to slide it the rest of the way round the journal until it comes out. Fit the new one in the reverse way to removing it.

Make sure you keep the shells against the journals taking them out and putting them in, and dont be tempted to twist or pull them off it to make it easier to push in. Dip the new shells in engine oil before you try and slide them in as well.