possible to create a new bolting point for manifold?

dave-izzle

Member +
I seem to have a problem with leaking gaskets all the time, and my dad puts it down to the poor design from toyota with how the manifold bolts to the block. He says it needs to be bolted again in the bottom middle for a proper fit. He insists it could be done. Tap a thread into the block. Is this at all possible?

i stole this picture from monkfish to explain. You can see on his where its been leaking too due to the fact there is no third bolt in the bottom middle.

starletmaniface.jpg

Do we think it's possible?

ChrisGT

Member +
I'm sure its possible, but quite a lot of hassle! So you'd need a new mani that had 4 holes along the top and 3 along the bottom? Imagine if you damaged the block though! Eeek!

dave-izzle

Member +
i will have a new manifold on the way soon, but liek i said, my old man reckons it would be so much better to have that third bolt holding it in place

Dane_Bristol

Member +
I wouldn't bother mate just get a manifold that is flat and that has been skimmed. Replacing the manifold i can assure you will be a fraction of the cost of inserting a stud into your block. Its really not needed. Its never ever been done as there is no need.

Dave.

Member +
More hassle than its worth for sure!

No one else seems to have this problem, maybe youe manifold needs faced?

Dave

dave-izzle

Member +
I wouldn't bother mate just get a manifold that is flat and that has been skimmed. Replacing the manifold i can assure you will be a fraction of the cost of inserting a stud into your block. Its really not needed. Its never ever been done as there is no need.

I knew it would be breaking new ground, which is what makes it really interesting to try and do :p . I actually had this mani skimmed once as it was so far out it was a joke.

Dane_Bristol

Member +
I knew it would be breaking new ground, which is what makes it really interesting to try and do :p . I actually had this mani skimmed once as it was so far out it was a joke.

Yeah in my opinion and i am sure most of this sites its not the best solution mate. Its totally up too you but as you posted you wanted opinions and you are getting them its seriously not necessary choice however is up too you :).

fur

Member +
toyota knew what they were doing
that is way more hassle than it will be worth
perhaps the exhaust face on ure cylinder head is warped and not perfectly flat
if using a new skimmed manifold doen't work u can use exhaust o-rings and seal each cylinder individually
defo not worth the effor tho