Powder coated Rocker cover

ianmcintoshi

Member +
Hey, I recently purchased a powder coated cam cover from someone on here but now that ive received it, it has been powder coated on the underside aswel as the top. Will this be a problem or can i still use as it is? If it is a problem what are my options to remove it? here a few pics-

P1010102.jpg

P1010103.jpg

Cheers in advance guys :cool:

carmen

Member +
Im not 100% sure but if you put that on your running the risk of the paint flaking inside not too sure on how to fix it a quick blast or sand

AdamB

Member +
Not sure if it would flake as the oil will help it stay in one piece, but at the very least where the cam cover gasket goes I would roughen it up a little with sand paper or wet and dry to ensure the gasket has a good grip on the cover.

nazzurro19

Member +
If its been powdercoated underneath then has it been sand blasted? Cause if it has then there could be all sand stuck under the baffle plate , then if that goes i your engine could cause a problem

I had one once and was advised not to fit due to this reason

Iain@CRD

Lifer
I had this problem lately with a Forged rebuild we received. We took off the new rocker cover that the customer supplied to find out that the company who done it had done the underneath also.

You do run the risk of the paint flaking and mixing with your oil yes but it depends on which heat resistant paint has been used and how resistant it is to our engine temperatures. I personally wouldnt use it unless you get it all off.

Last edited:

H_D

Member +
brush a bit of nitromorse on the underside leave it for a few hours then clean away, that will do the job

I wouldnt risk using this roka cover with the paint inside full stop!

1) see if the paint comes off with paint stripper/thinners/white spirit etc,

2) I would also jet wash the inside of the cover to remove any sand incase it has been blasted then use a blower tool attached to a compressor to remove as much water/sand as possible after you have done this leave on top of hot/warm radiator overnight to evaporate any water left inside,

3) if you cant be asked with the above steps then return the item to the seller.

H_D

Member +
Looks like this rocker cover will spit sh*t loads of oil, the extra breather on the side doesnt look very promising as it needs to be placed over the baffle!

ianmcintoshi

Member +
Well that sucks! What a waste of money. Does the breather need to placed over the baffle? bearing in mind its going to a catch can?

nazzurro19

Member +
Im not too clued up on the breather etc side of the engine

If the breathers under the baffle surly oil wil go in the pipes?

turboloon

Member +
i wouldn't risk it i fucked my last engine in a similiar situation...only othe option you have is take the rocker to a engineering place get them to drill out the 'rivetted' baffle ,and then top holes in place of the rivetts,there was someone who done it on here...i tried to do it my self but made a cunt of it...if you do it your self make your self a jig to hold the rocker in place while you drill and tap the holes...!!

ianmcintoshi

Member +
Thanks for all the replys, rep has been added :)

Looks like im just gona have to leave it, even if i do somehow manage to get it spotlessly clean, oil is going to pish out the side breather... Not a happy bunny.

More trouble than its worth especially when it could potentially lead to engine failure!