power steering leak :( help please

tommrs

Member +
put some new dexron2 fluid in today and seems to just dribble out off the bottom of the pump :( and bubbles up through the reseviour ( spelling ) it was totally dry after the morons who put the engine in it didnt know what they were doin! and never bothered to fill any fluids! so after alot of messing aaround with her to get her running she finally roared to life yesterday! but then this today :( any help would be much appriciated ( spelling again ) just too add ive had a look and as far as i can see all pipes are fine and connected! will get her on lift tomorrow to check though! cheers

dac69er

Super Moderator
if it is leaking from the pump itself, it can be rebuilt, but the easiest option is to just get a replacement pump off another car.

Paul_JJ

Member +
I would recommend dexron 3, it's fully compatable with dexron 2, but withstands higher temperatures. Look for a replacement pump and for a time being just top it up every week or so. ASDA sells very cheap dexron 3, Castrol I think, would do the job for the powersteering.

weeJohn

Lifer
It probably the crush washer under the pipe connection on the pump. It leaks from underneath the pipe and runs down the back of the pump, a decent motorfactors would have a replacement if you take the banjo bolt to them.

When you fill the system, turn on the engine and slowly turn the wheel from nearly lock to lock to remove any air in the system, then top it up again.