prob possible diff or driveshaft.cv joint

silverGtstu.

Member +
hi was on the rollers today and as the tuner tried to take the car off the rollers it was a struggle the car only spun up one wheel he said he`s never had that prob with it before, loosing drive almost at the n/s, i did a cv boot at that side and had to split the joint to fit it, all seemed ok any ideas , i dont have a lsd.

silverGtstu.

Member +
prob

its just he said it could be my diff or cv joint , he said he would of expected more drive, also said never had that bother with any front wheel drive car when coming off the rollers? would it be worth checking over

goldenvtr

Member +
well before i had a diff i use to do a burnout before drag racing and it would only spin one wheel, about all you can do it put the front of the car on axel stand and stick it in gear, if both wheels move sounds like its all fine. if the CV joint had gone you would be getting some clunky noisies

silverGtstu.

Member +
prob

ok cool cool, maybe he thought i had a lsd, i`l check it tommorrow dude, he also mentioned that it was juddering alot through the steering while on the rollers, i thought a bush on the controll arm or track rod end, but he's convinced gearbox diff, or drive shaft/cv problem

silverGtstu.

Member +
prob

yeah i know that! lsd LINITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL, but its just the tuner seemed worried that there was little drive to the passenger side wheel making it difficult to take the car off the rollers.? any ideas guys!

sx_turbo

Lifer
there is a diff in almost every car, most are slip diffs, this allows the car to corner smoothly, by letting the 2 wheels turn at different speeds when going round corners the reason being that when turning the inside wheel travels a shorter distance.

an lsd limits this "slip" of the normal diff

silverGtstu.

Member +
prob

hey oh my god i know that i`m a technician for kia, all general cars use a differential mostly non lsd types, a diff is used to supply power to the wheels at a ninety degree angle allowing slip in my diffs case allowing the inner wheel to rotate at a different speed from the outer when cornering, this is not my prob, read my first post pls.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I wasn't telling you I was telling supernova, calm down love.:p

If you're a technician surely you can check it all over, the juddering could just be a wheel out of allignment. I remember when mine was on the rollers and it was spining and struggling to get off them. Is there any noises when you turn full lock?

Where did you have the car rolling roaded?

silverGtstu.

Member +
prob

lol no noises when full lock, al check it at work tommorrow just wondered if this sounds normal for these transmission set ups, am use to tod transfers etc. mostly work on 4x4s and deal with diagnostics for gds systems, was just worried i had a goosed diff bearing or cv joint as the tuner has made me paranoid, lol prob nothing wrong the guy prob thought i had a lsd eh its the only thing that would mke sense, anyhow i have little experience on how hard it is to get a gt of the rollers, they actually ended up pushing it forward first thenreversing over throlers to get it off , normal? or not?

silverGtstu.

Member +
pob

wallace performance, the guy is well clued up maybe just presumed i had a lsd lol i cant fault them all my mates us them

WallaceGlanza

Member +
The reason I ask is because Simon at Japerformance has a fair bit of experience with starlets, if your man at wallace assumed it had an lsd then thats maybe all the problem is.

Have you felt any judder at speed through the wheel?

silverGtstu.

Member +
prob

no but if i did, buckled wheels, inballance through shafts or wheels etc, , track rod end in severe cases ive seen lol no judder at speed put it this way if the guy never said anything i would not be asking about it on the forum, lol reckon a check it tomorrow was just wanting to clear things up asap, at 9pm on a tuesday night the forum seemed a good approach to the problem,