Proxes R1R™

azerty

Supermoderator
Has anyone tried those tyres ?

R1R_toyo_300x300.jpg

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?lpid=30251&name=Proxes%20R1R%99&category=sport

Last edited:

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
No mate haven't myself, they don't appear to be available here in the UK yet, well not accoriding to the Toyo UK website which is in dier need of a refresh.

They look nice though what sizes are they available in just donwloading them now.

T

Toby@ToyTuning.com

225/45/15 about time someone made a good tire in that size, you'll need a nice wide wheel though. Also 195/50/15 that will be a nice size for most members.

What are you putting them on Lionel?

T

azerty

Supermoderator
not sure If I'll go for them, but that could be new rims set. (my te37 are 6.5")
I've seen them in 195/50/15. they seems to be very good for wet track days. 225/45/15 would be great indeed.
I've found some 888 as well, but only in 195/55/15 which is a bit bulky :(
I'm wondering how they would compare. obviously 888 would be much better on dry conditions, but at which wet point R1R would start to be better...

Last edited:

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Yeah I'm thinking they will be good here considering it rains quite often, not sure if we can get them though they look pretty good to be fair nice tread pattern and stiff sidewalls according to Toyo.

Hopefully someone else can offer advice if they have used them although they look quite new.

T

Toby@ToyTuning.com

not sure If I'll go for them, but I've seen them in 195/50/15
they seems to be very good for wet track days. 225/45/15 would be great indeed.
I've found some 888 as well, but only in 195/55/15 which is a bit bulky :(

They do 888's in 195/50/15, or stretch a 165/50 onto a 7inch rim and below for a better contact patch.

Let me get a link discussed this loads:

T

For the price of the toyos they arnt worth it.

Ive a full set of Yokohama Paradas spec2 tyres on my glanza, best tyre by far and they are half the price of the toyos.

4 yokos were specially ordered in for me fitted and balanced £183 all in. You wont get a set of toyos for that price! And the yokos are as soft if not softer, they are the best tyre ive ever had!

Toby@ToyTuning.com

They do loads of different compounds, do you know what sizes he was running?

You need to test them back to back on the same car, his handling could be very different or he could have the wrong size or the wrong pressures so not a fair comparison really.

Not having a go at all buddy but saying things like "i still dont think 888's are worth it when the paradas are equally as good in the dry and twice the tyre in the wet" isn't really sensible when you haven't even tried them personally.

I have and I can tell you 888's, in my opinion, are a better tire but everyone will have different views. Diplomacy is key :)

I love Yokahama, I run the a048r semi slicks in the dry and they are excellent but the Parads are just a sports tire, more compairable with a Proxy T1R sports tire, in which case I think the Parada are better but not against a 888 that is a semi slick cut tire that's just silly! You could argue in the wet they may give more consistant grip but in the dry not a chance there is twice the compound on the ground.

Tobs :kiss:

Last edited:
They do loads of different compounds, do you know what sizes he was running?

You need to test them back to back on the same car, his handling could be very different or he could have the wrong size or the wrong pressures so not a fair comparison really.

Not having a go at all buddy but saying things like "i still dont think 888's are worth it when the paradas are equally as good in the dry and twice the tyre in the wet" isn't really sensible when you haven't even tried them personally.

I have and I can tell you 888's, in my opinion, are a better tire but everyone will have different views. Diplomacy is key :)

I love Yokahama, I run the a048r semi slicks in the dry and they are excellent but the Parads are just a sports tire, more compairable with a Proxy T1R sports tire, in which case I think they Parada are better but not against a 888 that is a semi slick cut tire that's just silly!

Tobs :kiss:

well you see thats where your wrong i have tried them myself on my own car and thats why i wouldnt try them again. But i did also drive his car as well when he had them on it, hes now since turned to the paradas as well.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

They were on my mates glanza 15" Toyo R888 is all i remember of them.

Okay mate thought you said they were on your friends car, we will have to beg to differ :)

I'm not sure how a semi slick could be worse than a conventional road tire in the dry, if he was running 195/50 then that was probably why as you get a very poor contact patch on a 7inch or below 15 inch they need to be stretched but fair play.

T

Last edited:
Okay mate thought you said they were on your friends car, we will have to beg to differ :)

I'm not sure how a semi slick could be worse than a conventional road tire in the dry, if he was running 195/50 then that was probably why as you get a very poor contact patch on a 7inch or below 15 inch.

T

They were his we swapped them over when we got are new sets to compare them. But i did drive his car with them on also.

I dont no maybe they just suit my car better but i definatly think they are a better tyre, softer compound maybe?

I dont no and far less do i care to be honest. lol

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Yeah that's the problem (if rim was 7inch width or under), see here:

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/...light=toyo+888

165/50 streched gives a 185 width and 40 profile for max contact patch, 195/50 is just too big for a Starlet with a 7inch rim and under did loads of testing.

Even if you compare a 195/50 Proxey T1R with a 195/50 888, the 888 is much much taller although the same spec on paper. This means you get a a massive side wall, lot's of flex, a miserable contact patch (maybe only 75%) and no traction, confidence or cornering ability.

With the right size selection I think you would be very surprised.

T

azerty

Supermoderator
yeah I did read your post about 165/50/15
it is still hard to think 195/50/15 woud have less grip especialy when TOYO recomend to use them on 6inch rims. but if you have tested both and had better results with 165. it must have a reason.

That's very strange Jonny had better result with parrada. as Toby said, paradas are in T1R category. I had Neovo AD07, wich are supposed to be even better than parradas. they were best street tyres I have used on dry, but didn't last long. I expect 888 to be much better than AD07